Join the California Mini-Corps Program
Would You Like to Join the California Mini-Corps Program?
Do you meet the following criteria?
- Applicants must be full-time undergraduate college students (12 units or more) or high school graduate seniors.
- Applicants must be former migrants, or must have experiential knowledge of the migrant family lifestyle.
- Applicants must have a financial need in order to continue their education.
- Applicants must be proficient in English and have a high degree of proficiency in Spanish.
- Applicants with freshman standing must have a minimum 2.0 grade point average; sophomores must have a minimum 2.3 G.P.A.; juniors must have a minimum 2.5 G.P.A.; and seniors must have a 2.8 G.P.A.
- Applicants must have teaching as their career goal.
- Applicants must be citizens of the United States or meet resident criteria.
- Applicants must be fingerprinted and cleared before working in the program.
Can you perform the following duties?
- Mini-Corps employees will work as teacher assistants in local schools, K-12th grade, up to 18 hours per week.
- Mini-Corps employees will tutor migrant education students in reading, math, science, social studies, art, etc. in kindergarten through 12th grade classrooms in all Ventura County schools.
- Mini-Corps employees will attend inservice training and educational workshops/conferences.
- Mini-Corps employees will participate in community service and home visits.
Would you benefit from...
- Classroom experience in many grade levels?
- Earning money while you learn?
- Getting paid to attend educational workshops, conferences, and seminars?
- Being the primary role model to migrant children in the classroom?
- Immediate implementation of learning theories?
- Knowledge of the local educational system?
- Learning from experts in the field of education?
If you are interested in applying to the California Mini-Corps program contact:
Sandra Cortes-Montecalvo, College Coordinator
Phone: (805) 437-8823
Room 1711, Bell Tower Building, Cal State Channel Islands