You’ve been admitted. What must you do next?
Getting Started: Read the Freshmen Fall 2017 Enrollment Guide (PDF, 895 KB)
You received this guide as part of your Admissions packet. The following steps summarize information included in the guide. Please note the guide includes details regarding placement exams and deadlines.
Step 1: Accept our Offer of Admissions
To reserve your space for fall 2017, admitted applicants must complete the 3-step Intent to Enroll process no later than Monday, May 1, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. Step 1 is to accept our offer of admission:
- Log into your myCI and click on “CI Records.” Your login information was emailed within 48 hours after submitting your application for admission. We used the email address that was noted on your application for admission. Please check your SPAM/junk mail folder if necessary.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page (under “Admissions”) and “Accept” or “Decline” Admissions. “Accept” means that you are electing to enroll at CI for fall 2017 and are responsible for completing the next two steps of the Intent to Enroll process by Monday, May 1, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. IMPORTANT: Once you accept our offer of admission, you will be held responsible for paying a $175 mandatory and non-refundable orientation fee.
- Note: After accepting our offer of admission, a yellow triangle will appear and remain until your final transcript has been reviewed. Check your “To Do” list often (located on the right side of your CI Records page) for other enrollment requirements.
- After you accept our offer of admission, follow the link for Step 2 of the Intent to Enroll process (see below) to pay the non-refundable orientation fee. You must wait 24 hours for the system to refresh before completing Step 2.
Step 2: Pay the Non-Refundable Orientation Fee of $175 (Wait 48 hours after completing Step 1)
Once you have accepted our offer of admissions and waited 48 hours for the system to refresh, log back into myCI:
- Under My Links, click on “CI Records.”
- In the Finance section of your Student Center, under “Account Summary,” you will where the orientation fee has been posted.
- Click on “Make a Payment.”
- Click on “Login to CashNet” to pay the required orientation fee by Monday, May 1, 2017 at 11:59 p.m.
- Once in CashNet, click on link for “Make a Payment” on the top menu bar.
- Click on “General Balance” and enter $175 for the orientation fee in the “Amount” box.
- Click on “Add to Shopping Cart” and then on “Checkout.” Follow prompts for entering method of payment.
- You can view detailed instructions for completing your online payment here (in PDF format). (PDF, 418KB)
The orientation fee is due by Monday, May 1, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. unless you have been granted a deferment. Deferment means that payment of the orientation fee will be charged to your fall semester’s account if you enroll as planned and may be covered by financial aid IF you are found eligible. Students who filed a 2017-18 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the California Dream Act application on or before the Thursday, March 2, 2017 deadline AND have an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) of 4,000 or less will be considered for a deferment of the new student orientation fee. We are unable to grant a deferment until the results of your financial aid application (FAFSA or Dream Act) is shared with us. If a deferment is not granted, you will need to pay your orientation fee no later than Monday, May 1, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. If you choose not to attend CI in the fall or your admission is canceled or rescinded, you are still held responsible for paying the orientation fee. Financial aid will not cover expenses owed to CSU Channel Islands if you fail to enroll as planned or should your admission be canceled or revoked for failing to fulfill admission or enrollment requirements.
Step 3: Choose a Mandatory Orientation Session
Step 3 of the Intent to Enroll process involves choosing a mandatory orientation session. Log onto myCI. Under my links, click on “Orientation” in order to register for one of the orientation sessions being offered in June 2017. You are required to attend the entire program. If you do not attend, arrive late or leave during any portion of the program, your admission will be withdrawn and you will need to reapply for the next available term. Parents/guardians are highly encouraged to attend. Refer to the Orientation website, referenced above, for important details.
Step 4: Apply for Financial Aid
If you would like to apply for financial aid, you should file a 2017-18 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the California Dream Act application on or before the March 2, 2017 priority deadline. Please refer to your “To Do” list on the CI Records page for documents that must be submitted to Financial Aid no later than the May 31, 2017 priority document deadline.
Visit the Financial Aid website for more details.
Step 5: Take a Placement Exam
Entering freshmen, regardless of their GPA, are required to take placement exams to determine which math and English course they will need to enroll in during their first year at CI. These tests are called Entry Level Math (ELM) exam and the English Placement Test (EPT).
There are a number of ways to be exempt from these exams. Refer to the Freshmen Enrollment Guide for details. If you are required to take one or both exams, then you must take them no later than Saturday, May 6, 2017. You must register by April 21, 2017 if you plan to take the exam at CI.
Step 6: Apply for Housing (optional)
Although not required for incoming freshmen, living on campus is a popular option for both new and continuing students. Beginning in April 2017, interested students may submit a housing application in myCI. For additional details, please visit the Housing website.
Step 7: Submit your Immunization Records
Please check the Student Health Services website for current immunization requirements. Failure to comply with the immunization requirements by June 1, 2017 will result in a hold being placed on your account, which will prevent you from registering for classes in the spring.
Step 8: Submit Final Transcripts
In order to receive final clearance to attend CSU Channel Islands in the fall, you must arrange to have your final transcripts (with your graduation date posted) and AP scores (if any) sent directly to the Admissions Office no later than July 14, 2017:
CSU Channel Islands
ATTN: Admissions Office
One University Drive
Camarillo, CA 93012
Step 9: Participate in Early Start
The CSU requires that first-year students with remedial requirements (based on scores received from the ELM and EPT) participate in Early Start. Early Start is a program that allows students to begin working towards college readiness in the summer prior to their freshmen year. Refer to the Freshmen Enrollment Guide for more information and to determine if you need to participate.
Students required to participate in Early Start must do so in order to enroll in fall classes. Fall classes will be canceled if a student fails to attend and complete Early Start classes.
Students who are unable to participate in Early Start because of extenuating circumstances beyond their control must submit a written appeal, which must be received by Admissions no later than June 15, 2017. Please refer to the Appeals webpage: go.csuci.edu/appeals.