The true measure of a university’s greatness can be found in the achievements of its alumni and alumnae. California State University Channel Islands is beginning to be known as a place where leaders are developed in many fields of endeavor. A significant number of the University’s alumni and alumnae have gained unique distinction through success in their professions, service to the University, and contribution to their communities. The University and the Alumni & Friends Association established the Distinguished Alumnus Award program in 2013, the campus’ 10-Year Anniversary, to honor outstanding former students and to celebrate their achievements.
Purpose and Philosophy
The purpose of the Distinguished Alumnus program is to recognize the University’s alumni and alumnae who have made significant contributions to society, and whose accomplishments, affiliations, and careers have honored the legacy of excellence at the University.
The Distinguished Alumnus Award does more than honor its recipients. It also further illustrates the great value of the academic programs and student involvement at CI and increases the pride all former students, students, staff and faculty have for the University. The award program recognizes those men and women who demonstrate the CI Way and the power of the Dolphin experience to the people of Ventura County, California, the nation and the world.
Criteria for Selection
Recipients will be accomplished in the three distinct areas as outlined below. This distinction will be reflective of CI’s mission pillars – International Perspectives, Interdisciplinary Approaches, Multicultural Learning & Engagement, and Civic Engagement. The three areas are:
- Professional Achievement and Career or Military Service Distinction:The recipient attained prominence through his or her efforts in their industry, technology, education, government, military or other worthy endeavors that form a record of accomplishment impressive to the citizens of Ventura County or beyond.
- Service to Society: The recipient exhibits integrity and a demonstrated commitment to service through an interest in bettering the lives of others through volunteer efforts.
- Service and Support to CSU Channel Islands: The recipient’s deeds and actions reflect the importance of his or her educational training, pride in alma mater and loyalty to CI, as demonstrated through their interest in and support of the University, the Alumni & Friends Association and their programs.
Eligible nominees will have been enrolled in a regular course of study at CI. Former students may be nominated posthumously. These awards are given for outstanding achievement and no compromises diminishing the significance of the awards will be made.
Method of Nomination
Nominations may be made for a Distinguished Alumnus Award by any of the following individuals or groups noted below:
- Any member of the Alumni & Friends Association;
- Any member of the University administration, faculty or staff;
- Any member of an affiliate or support organization of the University;
- Any CI former student;
- Any friend of CI.
Nominations will be accepted using the following guidelines:
- The Alumni & Friends Association provides an Award Nomination Form online at https://csuci.wufoo.com/forms/distinguished-alumnus-award/
- In addition to completing and submitting the Award Nomination Form (required), nominators
are encouraged to provide supporting items that further distinguish the nominee. Such items
include, but are not limited to:
- Letter of nomination written by nominator
- Three letters of support from non-family members that specifically address the criteria
- Current biography or curriculum vitae for the individual
- Newspaper and magazine articles
- Personal stories
- Award or certificates of achievement
- Other items of interest
- No limitation will be placed on the total number of nominations accepted for consideration.
- The name of the nominator will not be disclosed.
Method of Award Recipient Selection
The Alumni & Friends Association will use the following guidelines for the Award Recipient Selection:
- Nominations will be reviewed by Alumni & Friends Association Alumni Board Members, ASI entity leaders, CI Alumni Director and ASI Executive Director and then submitted to the Alumni & Friends Association Board for final approval.