CI Learn Mobile App (powered by Blackboard)
What is Blackboard Mobile?
Blackboard Mobile is the platform used to bring CI Learn to selected mobile devices.
What is CI Learn Mobile?
CI Learn Mobile is the app used to access CI Learn from selected mobile devices.
Accessing CI Learn Mobile
Who can use the CI Learn Mobile App?
The CI Learn Mobile app can be used with the following networks and devices:
- iPad, iPod Touch, iPhone on a Wi-Fi connection
- Sprint Network Android, Blackberry and Palm device via Wi-Fi or 3G/4G
(Android, BlackBerry or Palm devices on other carriers are not able to access CI Learn at this time)
Is there a charge for using the CI Learn Mobile App?
Through a partnership Blackboard built with Sprint, CI can provide CI Learn Mobile
to our faculty and students with Sprint Android and BlackBerry mobile devices at no
cost, and free on a Wi-Fi-only basis on the Apple iPad, iPod touch and iPhone.
Note: You will need a web/data plan through Sprint or a Wi-Fi connection for Apple devices.
How can I get the CI Learn Mobile App on my mobile device?
To download the app:
- Visit the App Store on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, the Android Marketplace on your Android device, or BlackBerry App World on your BlackBerry.
- Search for Blackboard Mobile.
- Install the app.
- Search for CSU Channel Islands
- Log in with your myCI username and password.
Using the CI Learn Mobile App
As a student, what can I do on CI Learn Mobile?
Students can view announcements and class rosters, check assignments and grades, create discussion threads and posts, and view or post to blogs and journals. You also can access documents in multiple formats, as well as view music, videos, and images uploaded by your instructors (using the appropriate software specific to the media type).
As an instructor, what can I do on CI Learn Mobile?
You don’t have to do anything differently with your courses for you or your
students to use the mobile app. Using an eligible mobile device (see above) with the Blackboard Mobile app installed, you can access all the content available in your CI Learn courses. In addition, instructors can post a class Announcement “on the go”, create discussion threads and posts, and comment on student blogs and journals.
What are the limitations of CI Learn Mobile?
The app is designed for viewing content, not for uploading content to your courses.
Depending on the particular device, some features will not work correctly, but you
can always access these features using a browser such as Firefox on your computer.
Students should not attempt to submit assignments or take tests or quizzes in CI Learn
Mobile; they should use a non-mobile Web browser for those purposes.
Some features that may not work correctly on all devices are:
- Flash video
- Java-based video
- Quicktime video
What happens if I try to access CI Learn Mobile without a Sprint device?
- Apple iOS device users (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad) will be able to use the app via Wi-Fi. If not on Wi-Fi, iOS device users will receive a message saying you need to be connected to Wi-Fi.
- Android and BlackBerry users not on the Sprint network will receive a message saying you can use the app only on the Sprint network unless your institution purchases an annual license of CI Learn Mobile. You will be unable to use the app from non-Sprint Android and BlackBerry devices.
If I’m using an Android or Blackberry device on a carrier other than Sprint, can I download the CI Learn Mobile app?
All Android and BlackBerry users will see the CI Learn Mobile app listed in
BlackBerry AppWorld or Android Market. All users can download the app. However, if you
are not on the Sprint network, you will receive an error message when you try to connect.
What happens if I’m using an Apple device (i.e., iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch) to access CI Learn Mobile and move out of range of a Wi-Fi connection?
If you move from using a Wi-Fi connection to a 3G connection, you will receive an error message stating that the app only works over Wi-Fi, and you should re-connect via Wi-Fi.
Security concerns about CI Learn Mobile
What security measures will ensure my privacy when using CI Learn Mobile?
- Once a device connects, the Blackboard system is out of the communication loop. The connection is encrypted via SSL.
- Blackboard never saves a user’s credentials on its servers.
- The Save Password option on the mobile device simply allows you to save login information on the secure storage space within the application. (This process is akin to the way other mobile applications save passwords on devices.)
- CI Learn Mobile securely transmits usernames and passwords over SSL connection.
Support for using CI Learn Mobile
Where can I find more information CI Learn Mobile or get assistance?
Support requests for CI Learn Mobile can be sent to: email@example.com
See a demo <link to http://www.blackboard.com/Platforms/Mobile/Resources/Demos.aspx> of how CI Learn Mobile works on eligible mobile devices.