California State University Channel Islands is pleased to welcome International Students to graduate and undergraduate programs.  Beginning Fall 2007, CSU Channel Islands began accepting graduate level international student applications.  Beginning Fall 2008, CSU Channel Islands began accepting international students who have completed college course work at a regionally accredited college or university.  International students completing Community College are welcome to apply to CSU Channel Islands.

How to Apply as an International Student

Please select a student group from the list below to access application criteria:


If you are a current high school student or anyone who has not attended any college since completing high school, please apply as a freshman.

Transfer Student

If you are currently a student at any community college or someone who has attended college since graduating high school, please apply as a transfer student.

Graduate Student

If you completed a post-secondary degree equal to a U.S. bachelor’s degree, please apply as a graduate student.  Also, you can apply for a second bachelor’s degree at CSU Channel Islands.

Please make sure to submit:

On your application form, please write your name as it appears on your passport. This will be the name used on your I–20.  All international students must provide a foreign address, even if your current mailing address is in the United States.

Academic Records

Transfer from Designated Community Colleges

You must provide one official copy, sent directly from your school of all records of academic course work.  If you have any secondary school records from outside of the U.S., please contact World Education Services at or International Education Research Foundation at to have your records officially evaluated by one of the companies.

You must have a minimum of 60 or more semester transferable units with a minimum 2.0 grade point average for Non-California residents in all transferable college units completed.  You must have completed the following classes with a grade of “C” or better:

  • Oral communication
  • Written communication
  • Critical thinking
  • College level mathematics/quantitative reasoning

The above courses must be completed from one of the above mentioned institutions. Please submit paper application form and the required documents.


Currently, CSU Channel Islands is accepting international freshmen applications.

English Language Requirements

All new international students whose native language is not English must demonstrate language proficiency by submitting one of the following scores:

  1. 80 on the Internet-based TOEFL (IBT) for graduate applicants (213 on the computer-based test or 550 on the paper-based test)
  2. 61 on the Internet-based TOEFL (IBT) for undergraduate applicants (173 on the computer-based test or 500 on the paper-based test)
  3. 6.5 on IELTS for graduate applicants
  4. 6.0 on IELTS for undergraduate applicants
  5. Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) with a verbal score of 450 or higher.


International applicants are urged to submit their scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) , the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or PTE (Pearson Test of English.) 

CSUCI TOEFL Institutional code:  0236

Affidavit of Financial Support

If the student will use his/her own personal funds as the source of financial support, the student must provide their official bank statement showing the availability of at least $32,639 for undergraduate (for graduate please refer to graduate affidavit form) in liquid assets. If the student will be supported by a private sponsor (family member, friend, or private institution), the sponsor must sign the Affidavit of Financial Support.  In addition, sponsors must provide their official bank statement showing the availability of at least $32,639 for undergraduate (for graduate please refer to graduate affidavit form) in liquid assets.  Bank statements and financial affidavits cannot be older than 6 months.

If the student will be sponsored by a public agency (embassy, home government, public institution, religious organization, etc.), the agency must provide official certification that the costs will be covered. Sponsorship statements cannot be older than 6 months.

International students cannot meet the full amount of their educational expenses by working while in the United States. U.S. government regulations strictly limit employment authorization, and employment opportunities are further restricted by the requirement that holders of student visas must be full-time students. International students do not qualify for need-based financial aid.

Note: International students are required to have health and accident insurance from Wells Fargo. They can purchase their insurance plans at

Center for International Affairs

The Center for International Affairs assists international students with all aspects of their CSUCI experience.