Where is Disability Resource Programs (DRP) located?

DRP is located in the Educational Access Center (EAC), Bell Tower room 1541.  For more information, please visit our Hours and Location page.

How do I register to receive disability resources and accommodations?

To register for services, you may either call us at 805-437-3331 or stop by the EAC, Bell Tower 1541.  The first step is to schedule a new student appointment and receive an application for services.  Please arrive for your new student appointment with a completed application for services and disability verification documents.  For information regarding registering for services, please visit our Obtaining Services page.

What services do you provide?

Although accessibility is a shared responsibility of our campus community, DRP serves an integral role in the University's commitment to assure students with disabilities equal opportunity to access its programs and services. Academic accommodations are provided based on disability-related needs under section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and in compliance with CSU and CI policies and procedures. For a list of services, please visit our Student Services page.

Should students submit original copies of documentation?

No. Students should only submit copies of documentation. The student should retain the originals for their records. For information regarding documentation, please visit our Obtaining Services page.

Will disability verification documentation have to be updated while a student is enrolled at CI?

No, DRP does not require students to update their verifying documentation while they are enrolled. Documentation must be up-to-date when students enter. However, if an accommodation is requested that is not supported by the student's existing documentation, additional documentation will need to be submitted.  It is important to note that, although verifying documentation does not need to be updated after admittance into DRP, students are required to add their classes on DRP-Online each semester they are enrolled in the university.

Does DRP provide diagnostic testing for students who may have a learning disability or for students who need to update their learning disability-related documentation?

No, DRP does not provide diagnostic testing; however, we can provide resources to community agencies who conduct testing for various disabilities.

If a student has a class with a professor that is already aware of the student's disability, do they still need a modification letter at the beginning of the semester?

Yes. Don't assume the professor will remember what types of modifications a student is eligible to receive. Upon registration with DRP each semester, a Faculty Notification Letter will be sent to the instructors via e-mail.

If a student with a disability begins a course and does not request modifications but has difficulty later in the semester, can they request modifications and re-take prior tests with accommodations?

No. Modifications will never be granted retroactively. However, if the student in the above scenario is approved for modifications they will receive them from that point forward.

Is there a foreign language substitution course for students registered with DRP?

No. However, students may consider taking American Sign Language, which is taught in a different modality.  Research has indicated that students of varying disabilities have stated success in American Sign Language versus traditional foreign language courses.

Why are there differences in high school disability-related accommodations and what is available at colleges and universities?

The primary law under which services in K-12 schools are provided is the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). Under this law, schools tailor the curriculum around the students and their needs so they will be successful in the school setting. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), institutions of higher learning are only required to make reasonable accommodations that will provide the student with equal access to the institution's programs, services and activities. Unlike high school accommodations, the reasonable accommodations post-secondary institutions provide ensure access, not success, and will not fundamentally alter classes or programs.

Does DRP provide "un-timed testing" as an academic modification?

In general, the answer to this question is no. As with all accommodations, the request for additional testing time is made on a case-by-case basis. Most students who receive additional testing time as an accommodation receive time-and-a-half. This means if the in-class test or quiz is to take one hour, the student approved to receive time-and-a-half would be allowed to use up to 1 hour and 30 minutes. Students with severe disabilities may receive double time to use when taking in-class tests or quizzes if their documented disability is such that double time would be needed to ensure equal access to the test.

Remember, as with all accommodations, additional testing time is used as a reasonable accommodation to provide students equal access to the test. The provision of extended testing time does not guarantee a student will be able to complete the test; time management is the student's responsibility.

Does DRP provide note taking services?

Yes, note taking services are available for students on a case-by-case basis, with supporting documentation. Note takers are paid volunteers from within the class. Note taking services can be obtained in two ways 1) the student requesting accommodation can ask another student enrolled in the same class if they would act as a note taker for them; or  2) If the student requesting accommodation would like to remain anonymous, a general announcement will be made by the faculty member stating that DRP is seeking a note taker. Please note:  it is the responsibility of the student to inform DRP when note taking services are requested and the manner in which they will be obtained. Students wishing to remain anonymous are to request a notification script from DRP and provide it to their faculty member. 

Can students with disabilities tape record classes?

Yes, this accommodation can be made on a case-by-case basis pending approval by the disabilities counselor.  Faculty members may request that the student complete a confidentiality agreement form.

Does DRP offer tutoring services?

No.  However, we provide the student with campus resources including the University Writing and Multiliteracy Center and Learning Resource Center, where tutoring services may be obtained.

Will my transcripts show that I received services from DRP?

No, your transcripts will not indicate that you were registered or received disability-related services.