Who Can Use the Graduate Writing Studio (GWS):
- All admitted CI Credential and graduate students are eligible to use the Graduate Writing Studio. If an undergraduate student needs support with the graduate application processes, such as writing a personal statement in order to enter a postbac/graduate program, we would be happy to assist.
- The GWS strives to serve all of CI’s post baccalaureate students and accommodate their diverse learning needs. We work collaboratively with CI’s Disability Resource Program to provide services for students who are registered with the DRP. All disability related information will remain confidential. To contact DRP call (805) 437-3331
How to Make An Appointment:
- Appointments may be made up to 2 weeks in advance, either by calling 805-437-3579 Monday-Saturday, or by sending an email request to: email@example.com. Booking appointments out for the semester is not permitted.
What to Expect:
- Each student may reserve a maximum of one hour per week of individual writing consultation. (After an initial face-to-face consultation, follow-up work may be completed online, if agreed upon with GWS instructor).
- If you fail to show up for an appointment, or fail to provide notice of cancellation at least 24 hours in advance of your appointment (either by phone or email), you will have to wait up for the next available appointment or be on standby for space available.
- If you are more than 15 minutes late, your appointment will be cancelled and you will need to reschedule.
- You must be involved in the session. Don’t expect to drop off or e-mail a paper and have someone work on it.
- Come prepared to help the Graduate Writing Studio Instructor know what you are doing and what instructions you were given, to provide any outlines or writing samples you have completed, and to advise the instructor of any applicable deadlines.
- Remember to bring assignment instructions, outlines and drafts you have completed and be prepared to advise instructor of deadlines.
- Bring in all relevant research materials necessary for working on assignment.
- The Graduate Writing Studio’s objective is to help credential and graduate students grow as independent academic writers, rather than to “fix” their papers. Writing instructors can work with you on clarity and coherence, discuss the development of your argument, and offer strategies to strengthen your structure or express your voice. They can help you with your paragraph and sentence structure and enhance your grammar. The Writing Studio does not provide copy-editing or proofreading services.
- We are constantly seeking to improve our services. Therefore, after your appointment you will receive an email inviting you to submit an anonymous survey of your experience with the GWS.
What to Bring:
- One paper copy of whatever you are working on
- Your laptop/tablet (optional)
- Your assignment, instructions, forms, guidelines, etc.
- Relevant research materials- articles, course text, books that will help during the session to advance your progress
All services are confidential. No information about graduate student use of our services will be released except information required by university policy or law.
Support services for faculty include:
- Class visits to talk about Graduate Writing Studio services.
- Workshops on citation management (e.g. EndNote) and writing styles (APA/MLA, etc.).
- While we hope that faculty will encourage students to make use of the GWS services, in the interest of stressing student responsibility and initiative, we do not take direct referrals from faculty.
In summary, we are here to relieve credential and graduate students’ writing-related anxiety, and to overcome obstacles in the writing process. We will help you to bolster the strengths of and combat the weaknesses in your writing. We are here to help you succeed in your post baccalaureate program!