There are answers to a variety of frequently asked questions on this page, including those listed in each category below:

Application Process

  • I am a freshman/transfer student – how do I apply for housing?
  • I filled out the online application; how can I be sure you have received it?
  • Is the housing application fee refundable?
  • Is on-campus housing guaranteed if I turn in the application? How will I receive communication from Student Housing regarding my status in the applicant to resident process?

Money Matters

  • What is the cost of living in student housing and what does that include?
  • Do you have a payment plan?
  • What do I do if my financial aid does not cover all of my housing expenses?

Living Arrangements

  • Can I choose my roommate?
  • When will I know who my roommate is?
  • How will I know what appliances or supplies I should bring?
  • What if I do not like my room when I move in?

Application Process

Q: I am a freshman/transfer student – how do I apply for housing?[top]

A: All incoming transfer students and freshmen must file an Intent to Enroll at the University and associated $100 deposit before they may apply for housing. Once admitted to the University, you will receive a letter of provisional admittance and an Intent to Enroll form.

Approximately 24-48 hours after submitting the Intent to Enroll form and deposit, prospective students may access the student housing application through their myCI portal. The Fall 2015 housing application will be available after 10 a.m. on April 9, 2015. 

In order to complete an online housing application, the $50 non-refundable housing application fee is required. It must be paid online prior to submission of the housing application. 

Q: I filled out the online application; how can I be sure you have received it?[top]

A: Once you have completed and submitted your application, you will receive a confirmation page. This confirms your application was received. An application confirmation receipt will be sent to your Dolphin email account.

You must pay the non-refundable $50 housing application fee online before submitting your application.

A signed license agreement and your $1,500 Housing Deposit must be received by May 18 to confirm accommodations. If either is received after May 18, you will be placed on the waiting list.

Q: What if I need specific accommodations based upon my disability need? [top]

A: CSU Channel Islands has a strong commitment to providing access to the University for all students and we have numerous apartments and suites that are ADA accessible. Students requiring special accommodations may apply based upon disability need via submission of the Disability Assessment Form for HousingAccommodations (PDF, 38KB) . Completed forms must be received no later than April 3, 2015 for returning residents or May 18, 2015 for new residents. Failure to file a complete application by the due date will delay the review of the request and accommodations may not be available. More information about DRP services can be found at:

Q: Is the housing application fee refundable?[top]

A: This is a processing fee and is non-refundable.

Q: Is on-campus housing guaranteed if I turn in the application?[top]

A: New residents who have submitted their housing application, license agreement, and made the housing deposit payment by May 18 will be guaranteed a bed space. After May 18, accommodations will be offered on a space-available basis.

Q: How will I receive communication from Student Housing regarding my status in the applicant to resident process? [top]

A: Our primary means of communication is the University-issued email address, referred to as Dolphin Email. We suggest you check your account frequently.

Money Matters

Q: What is the cost of living in student housing and what does that include?[top]

A: We are proud to offer excellent facilities and programs at a rate that is competitive with living accommodations off campus that do not offer the same convenience and social and educational experiences. Please see the Rates page for the current housing rates and additional information.

The rates include the following:

  • Your bed space (shared bedroom in Santa Cruz, shared or private bedroom in Anacapa, shared or private bedroom in Town Center, shared or private bedroom at Pickwick Park).  
  • All utilities: Trash and recycling pick up, water, electricity, gas/steam, Internet connectivity, and cable television. 
  • Maintenance services for the general upkeep of your suite or apartment and its amenities to maintain good operating condition. 
  • Programs and activities which make living on campus such a fun, educational, and memorable experience. Most programs and activities are made available at no charge to our residents. 
  • Use of a variety of community spaces including lounges, computer labs, study and meeting rooms, art and dance studios, cardio fitness center, pool, and spa.
  • 24-hour staff support to assist with questions and issues related to your on-campus experience and to respond to emergency concerns as needed. 

Q: Do you have a payment plan?[top]

A: Yes, we offer a Housing Installment Payment Plan (HIPP). The HIPP is a 3-payment plan in the Fall, and a 4-payment plan in the Spring. Please see the Rates page for more information.

Q: What do I do if my financial aid does not cover all of my housing expenses?[top]

A: Any fees not covered by financial aid must be paid by the first due date of the term. Students who owe more than $3,000 out-of-pocket may opt to select a Housing Installment Payment Plan (HIPP) to pay the balance in more than one installment. The University applies your financial aid first to registration and student fees, second to housing fees, and third to any other outstanding payments that may be due.

Students wishing to use financial aid to pay for room and board fees must:

1) Apply for Financial Aid on or before the Priority Filing Deadline.

2) Provide any requested documents to Financial Aid Office before the deadline.

3) For students desiring to use loan funds, all loan requirements should be completed as soon as possible and before the deadline.

Students who do not meet deadlines must be prepared to cover University fees through personal resources until which time financial aid can be fully processed, awarded, and funded.

Students whose financial aid is not posted in time are encouraged to sign up for a Housing Installment Payment Plan (HIPP) and a Tuition Installment Payment Plan (TIPP) online in myCI to reduce payments required out-of-pocket prior to the funding of financial aid. Students are responsible to pay any amounts due on payment due dates until your account is paid in full. Students must check their account information through myCI to determine if financial aid has been applied.

Q: Will I receive regular billing statements regarding payment amounts and designated due dates? [top]

A: NO. It is the responsibility of the student to make necessary payment(s) by the published payment deadlines as outlined on the Student Business Services website and in the HIPP and TIPP. Late payments are subject to a $25 late fee and the placement of a hold on university records and services. Further, it is the responsibility of the student to check their myCI account regularly to remain up-to-date on their student account status.

Living Arrangements

Q: Can I choose my roommate for next year? [top]

A: You may request a roommate. We make every possible effort to place students with mutual requests. If both students do not request each other, then the request will not be honored. Roommate preferences are made via your online housing application. Roommate requests can be made after the initial submission of your housing application, but must be submitted by the deadline to be considered. Please keep in mind the following important requirements when making a roommate request:

  • You must have the correct spelling of your requested roommate's name as it is reflecting in their CI student record. For example, Bill Smith may show as 'William Smith'. For best results, please confirm the accurate spelling of your preferred roommate's name prior to completing your housing application.
  • Your preferred roommate(s) must be a continuing student at CI or a prospective student who has submitted an Intent to Enroll for the same academic term during which you'd like to be their roommate.
  • To be honored, all roommate requests must be mutual.
  • To receive full consideration for roommate requests, all parties to a roommate request must have filed their housing application and license agreement and paid associated fees.
  • Returning residents can make roommate request changes until June 1. New transfer and international students can make changes until June 14. New freshmen can make changes until July 3

Q: Will I know who my roommates are before the move-in date? [top]

A: For students who meet the May 18 application and license agreement deadline, roommate assignments will be completed and disseminated via email and on the student housing portal by early August. 

Q: How do I know if I should bring appliances for my suite or if my roommate is bringing them? [top]

A: Once the roommate matching process is complete, you will receive the contact information of your apartment-mates or suitemates. You will have the opportunity to contact each of them via email and coordinate items each roommate will bring and/or can share in purchasing. We advise all residents to hold off on purchasing shared items until contact has been made with all roommates.

Q: What if I do not like the room I am in when I move in? [top]

A: There is a mandatory two-week waiting period after the start of the semester before we accept requests for room changes. This time period allows for students to become acclimated to their new environment and acquainted with one another.

During this settling-in period, we encourage students to make their best effort to get to know their roommates, learning each other’s similarities and differences, and to communicate with each other respectfully.