Risk Management for Volunteers
Information below is consistent with the State Government Volunteers Act and is based on information released in October 2002 from the CSU Office of General Counsel and in CSU Human Resources coded memorandum HR 2005-26. Volunteers incur a significant investment on our part because they must be managed properly and further because we incur workers compensation and other liability. Workers compensation coverage does not apply to volunteers of auxiliary organizations unless the auxiliary Board specifically adopts such a resolution. Adoption of such a resolution would likely be in the best interests of an auxiliary.
The original forms should be sent to Risk Management.
The University must commit sufficient resources for effective management of the volunteer program. In general train and inform a volunteer like a regular employee.
Program management should include:
- providing written rules and job descriptions for volunteers
- recruitment and screening should done in a responsible manner (similar to regular employee procedures)
- appropriate utilization and adequate supervision must be provided
- evaluation of risks or safety concerns and mitigation through training, preparation, equipment etc.
Volunteer training should include:
- inform volunteers of risks and how to minimize them
- ensure volunteers know University rules, including rules regarding behavior and conduct
- volunteers must understand the duties and responsibilities of the job
These management and training operations should be documented.
SERVICE LEARNING AND OTHER COMMUNITY SERVICE
If students work off-campus or for other organizations the University will not be in a position to supervise or control the work conditions and thus these students are not normally signed up as volunteers. A written contract or agreement should be developed with the organization that controls and benefits from the student work. Workers compensation insurance and responsibility for defense and indemnification should be borne by that organization. Therefore the contract should contain an indemnification of the University and specify that the organization will carry workers compensation insurance for students.
If this arrangement is not possible please contact the Risk Manager at extension 8846.