LRC tutors will….
- Maintain a positive attitude and encourage student learning throughout a tutoring session.
- Help students with homework and conceptual knowledge to the best of their ability.
- Help students develop better mathematical skills.
- Encourage students to work independently after a tutoring session.
- Check on students periodically while they are working independently.
- Ensure that the tutoring session is interactive through asking questions and encouraging student demonstration of knowledge.
- Tailor a tutoring session to fit the student’s needs.
- Respect differences in learning styles, backgrounds in mathematics, and cultural experience.
- Encourage student independence and group study.
- Use other resources if he or she does not know how to solve a problem.
LRC tutors will not/cannot…
- Do a student’s homework for them.
- Help with a take-home test, quiz, project, or test corrections without explicit permission from the professor conveyed directly to LRC staff.
- Spend excessive amounts of time with a single student or group of students.
- Encourage dependency on tutoring.
- Tutor a student on several weeks’ worth of material one or two hours before the test.
- Tell a student what is on a test.
- Discuss a professor or other students in an unprofessional or negative manner.
- Answer every question a student might have immediately.