Camarillo, Calif., May 1, 2012 – CSU Channel Islands (CI) will showcase the research and collaborative work of faculty and students at the Fourth Annual Faculty-Student Research Forum on Saturday, May 12, from 9:30 a.m. to noon at the John Spoor Broome Library on campus. The event, sponsored by SAGE Publications and the Division of Academic Affairs, is free and open to the public.
The annual forum highlights the research, scholarship, creative activities and grants of CI faculty and students in a series of collaborative and individual exhibitions. There will be 26 faculty-student presentations and more than 100 posters, representing students’ final projects, on a variety of topics, including:
- Garden-based learning in Ventura County Schools
- Homeless women in Ventura County
- Humpback whales: A case study within breeding grounds
- Developing a coastal erosion monitoring protocol
- Congressional appropriations earmarks and representation in American politics
- Psychosocial adjustment and recidivism in at-risk youth
- Using triangles to calculate the sum of the interior angles of polygons
- Solar power integration for CSU Channel Islands
- Correlations between ozone measurements and weather conditions in Ventura County
- Archaeological investigations at Saticoy
- Sociological concepts found in the production of music
- Lost and Found: A dance film short collaboration
About 50 percent of graduating seniors at CI take part in some form of research or creative activity. Student research and collaboration on faculty-student research are integral to CI’s mission. The projects foster experiential learning, encourage partnerships, strengthen the University’s connections to the region, and help tackle problems in the community, environment and society.
Once on campus, attendees should follow the directional signs to the event’s location and parking areas. Free bus service to and from the campus is also provided from the Camarillo Metrolink Station every 30 minutes and from Oxnard College. Please board the CI Vista bus. For exact times, check the schedule at www.goventura.org.
For additional information, contact Merissa Stith, Events Coordinator, at 805-437-8548 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
# # #
About California State University Channel Islands
CSU Channel Islands (CI) is the only four-year, public university in Ventura County and is known for its interdisciplinary, multicultural and international perspectives, and its emphasis on experiential and service learning. CI’s strong academic programs focus on business, sciences, liberal studies, teaching credentials, and innovative master’s degrees. Students benefit from individual attention, up-to-date technology, and classroom instruction augmented by outstanding faculty research. CI has been designated by the U.S. Department of Education as a Hispanic-Serving Institution and is committed to serving students of all backgrounds from the region and beyond. Connect with and learn more by visiting CI's Social Media.