Freshman Island View Orientation is a required two-day, overnight program. All incoming freshman students must attend both days of the orientation and stay overnight in our on-campus student housing. Parents and guests are invited to attend the concurrent guest orientation while their student attends IVO and may also stay on campus (space is available on a first-come, first-served basis). Although all family members are invited to participate in the separate Guest Schedule (PDF, 86KB) of IVO, please note that our guest orientation provides information specific to the parents and guardians of our incoming freshmen.
Orientation sessions are scheduled during the summer and offered for students to select on a first-come, first-served basis. The summer 2016 orientation dates are as follows:
- June 16 & 17 (Thursday - Friday)
- June 21& 22 (Tuesday - Wednesday)
- June 24 & 25 (Friday - Saturday)
- June 28 & 29 (Tuesday - Wednesday)
To attend IVO, admitted students need to register and pay for IVO via their myCI account as outlined in the Enrollment Guide. By registering and paying for orientation, you are also confirming your Intent to Enroll. In other words, you register and pay for orientation when you accept the University’s offer of admission.
Students are required to attend all of Island View Orientation to be eligible to register for fall 2016 classes. Please refer to last year's orientation schedule for more details. (PDF, 466KB)
2016 Orientation Fees
- $175 Students (includes overnight on-campus student housing)
- $125 Guests
- $35 Additional fee for each guest staying overnight in on-campus student housing
PLEASE NOTE: The $175 portion of registration is not refundable. All other charges are subject to partial refund. The IVO fee will be posted to your CI Records account and must be paid in full by May 1, 2016.
CI does not offer waivers, reductions or payment plans for orientation fees. Please plan accordingly. Students who do not register and/or pay for orientation once registration is closed will be put on a waiting list and invited to register for orientation and enroll at the University on a space-available basis.
Students who filed a 2016-17 FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) on or before the March 2 priority deadline AND who are determined by the Financial Aid office to demonstrate high financial need will be considered for a deferment of the new student orientation fee. Guest registration fees and orientation merchandise are not eligible for deferment.
Deferment means that payment of the orientation fee will be posted to your fall semester’s account if you enroll as planned and may be covered by financial aid if you are found eligible. If you choose not to enroll or your admission is cancelled or revoked, you are still held responsible for paying the orientation fee. Financial aid will not cover expenses owed to CSU Channel Islands for failing to enroll as planned or when your admission is cancelled or revoked.
To speak with someone in New Student, Orientation and Transition Programs regarding this process please call 805-437-3160 or email us at email@example.com.
Before Coming to Island View Orientation:
- Check your myCI account for any incomplete admission items.
- Verify that the following items have been completed through your myCI account:
- IVO registration;
- Pre-Orientation Homework; and
- Print out and bring the photo release, medical release and Finances for College forms.
The Pre-Orientation Homework will provide you with additional information regarding CI, tasks that you will need to complete in order to prepare for orientation, as well as a list of what to bring to orientation.
The homework should take approximately 45 minutes to complete. Pre-Orientation Homework should be completed at least one week prior to your orientation date. Your orientation leader may contact you to discuss your progress with Pre-Orientation Homework and/or answer any questions you may have.
The Pre-Orientation Homework link will be sent to all registered students by June 1, 2016.
What You Should Bring
Spending your first couple of days on campus will be fun and exciting. We want to ensure you are as comfortable as possible. Please remember you will be staying in our on-campus student housing. Listed are some items you will want to remember when packing for your stay at CI. Parents and guests staying in on-campus housing should also bring the overnight items listed below.
Please bring the following:
- Completed mandatory forms/materials covered in previous steps of the Pre-Orientation Homework:
- Transcripts/test scores that have not already been submitted to Records and Registration
- Medical Release Form
- Photo Image Release Form
- Finances for College Students confirmation page
- Blankets and sheets or a sleeping bag; linens will be available during your stay (please see fees in Pre-Orientation Homework)
- Comfortable clothing for warm and cool temperatures. While the summer months can get very warm, the evening hours are often cool and many activities are outdoors.
- Shoes for walking and activities. You will be navigating the beautiful CI campus and will want to be comfortable.
- Toiletries including such items as a toothbrush, soap, shampoo, deodorant, hand soap, etc.
- Alarm clock
- Snacks or any other food you may want in addition to your provided meals. If you think you will want other items, feel free to bring them along.
- Sunscreen and bug spray. You will spend time outdoors during the day and evening hours.
- Backpack or book bag if you prefer to use your own. An orientation spirit bag full of fun goodies will be provided to you.
- Money to purchase books, supplies and your new CI apparel, if you would like to do so on this visit to campus
- While you are on campus for orientation, you may want to pay for or purchase the following items: registration fees, housing fees, parking permit or student ID card. The acceptable forms of payment in the office are cash, check or money order. All credit card transactions are done online.
- Energy! The two-day orientation is packed with fun and exciting activities that give you opportunities to learn about your new University home and meet many new friends. Come ready to enjoy!
For questions regarding the Early Start Program, please visit http://www.csuci.edu/earlystart/.
If you need accommodations such as a wheelchair, an accessible room, a sign language interpreter, materials in an alternative format, etc., please inform us at least one month prior to your orientation session via your online registration form. For information on services, please contact CI’s Disability Resource Programs by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 805-437-3331.
- All guests (not students) under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult guest.
- Each guest staying overnight in our on-campus student housing must attend the parent/guest orientation. Guests and students will stay in separate areas of student housing and are asked to stay in the room to which they have been assigned. Housing for guests is available on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information about student housing, please visit http://www.csuci.edu/housing.
- To learn more, please see the 2015 Guest Schedule (PDF, 86KB).
If you have any questions, please contact New Student, Orientation and Transition Programs at 805-437-3160 or email@example.com.
For more information, please visit the Freshman FAQ page.