Freshman Island View Orientation
Freshman Island View Orientation is a required two-day, overnight program. All incoming freshman students must attend both days of the orientation and stay overnight in our on-campus student housing. Parents and guests are invited to attend the concurrent family orientation while their student attends IVO and may also stay on-campus (space is available on a first-come, first-served basis). Although all family members are invited to participate in the separate Guest Schedule of IVO, please note that our guest orientation provides information specific to the parents and guardians of our incoming freshmen.
Orientation sessions are scheduled during the summer and offered for students to select on a first-come, first-served basis. The summer 2013 orientation dates are as follows:
- June 20-21 (Thursday - Friday)
- June 25-26 (Tuesday - Wednesday)
- June 28-29 (Friday - Saturday)
- July 2-3 (Tuesday - Wednesday)
To attend IVO, students must turn in their Intent to Enroll and pay the deposit by the Admissions deadline. IVO registration may be submitted only after the admissions process is complete. Students will be allowed to register for orientation and enroll at the University on a space-available basis between Monday, January 7, 2013, and Monday, May 20, 2013. Contact the Admissions office via email at email@example.com or call the Enrollment Center at (805) 437-8500 for assistance.
Students are required to attend all of Island View Orientation to be eligible to register for Fall 2013 classes.
PLEASE NOTE: CI does not offer financial aid, waivers or payment plans for orientation fees. Please plan accordingly. Students who do not register for orientation once registration is closed Monday, May 20, 2013, will be put on a waiting list and allowed to register for orientation and enroll at the University on a space-available basis.
2013 Orientation Fees
- $175 Students (includes overnight housing in on-campus student housing)
- $125 Guests
- $35 Additional fee for each guest staying overnight in on-campus student housing
PLEASE NOTE: Fees are non-refundable; however, a $50 credit may be issued for cancellations received prior to June 1, 2013.
At Island View Orientation freshman students will:
- Learn about academic requirements and policies
- Get one-on-one professional academic advising
- Meet fellow classmates and student leaders
- Learn about the programs and services available
- Receive a tour of the CI campus
- Find out how to get involved and maximize the CI experience
Before Coming to Island View Orientation:
- Check your myCI account for any incomplete admission items.
- Verify that the following items have been completed through your myCI account:
- IVO registration;
- Pre-Orientation Homework; and
- Print out and bring the photo release, medical release and Student Code of Conduct forms.
The Pre-Orientation Homework will provide you with additional information regarding CI, tasks that you will need to complete in order to prepare for orientation, as well as a list of what to bring to orientation.
The homework contains 15 steps that should take approximately 45 minutes to complete. Pre-Orientation Homework should be completed at least one week prior to your orientation date. Your orientation leader may contact you to discuss your progress with Pre-Orientation Homework and/or answer any questions you may have.
Pre-Orientation Homework link will go live in April 2013.
What You Should Bring
Spending your first couple of days on campus will be fun and exciting. We want to ensure you are as comfortable as possible. Please remember you will be staying in our on-campus student housing. Listed are some items you will want to remember when packing for your stay at CI. Parents and guests staying in on-campus housing should also bring the overnight items listed below.
Please bring the following:
- Completed mandatory forms/materials covered in previous steps of the Pre-Orientation Homework:
- Test Score Reporting Form
- Transcripts/test scores that have not already been submitted to Records and Registration
- Medical Release Form
- Photo Image Release Form
- Student Conduct Agreement Form
- Finances for College Students confirmation page
- Blankets and sheets or a sleeping bag
- Comfortable clothing for warm and cool temperatures. While the summer months can get very warm, the evening hours are often cool and many activities are outdoors.
- Shoes for walking and activities. You will be navigating the beautiful CI campus and will want to be comfortable.
- Toiletries including such items as a toothbrush, soap, shampoo, deodorant, hand soap, etc.
- Alarm clock
- Snacks or any other food you may want in addition to your provided meals. If you think you will want other items, feel free to bring them along.
- Sunscreen and bug spray. You will spend time outdoors during the day and evening hours.
- Backpack or book bag if you prefer to use your own. An orientation spirit bag full of fun goodies will be provided to you.
- Money to purchase books, supplies and your new CI apparel, if you would like to do so on this visit to campus
- While you are on campus for orientation, you may want to pay for or purchase the following items: registration fees, housing fees, parking permit or student ID card. The acceptable forms of payment in the office are cash, check or money order. All credit card transactions are done online. CI only accepts MasterCard, AMEX, Discover and Diner's Club. VISA is NOT accepted. Please make sure that you come with the appropriate form(s) of payment.
- Energy! The two-day orientation is packed with fun and exciting activities that give you opportunities to learn about your new University home and meet many new friends. Come ready to enjoy!
For questions regarding the Early Start Program, please visit http://www.csuci.edu/earlystart/.
If you need accommodations such as a wheelchair, an accessible room, a sign language interpreter, materials in an alternative format, etc., please inform us at least one month prior to your orientation session via your online registration form. For information on services, please contact CI’s Disability Resource Programs by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (805) 437-3331.
Reservation and Fee Information
Students will receive access to the online orientation reservation system through their myCI page when their Intent to Enroll has been received by the Admissions office. Orientation registration will close once capacity is reached, at which point students will be waitlisted. Students on the waitlist will be allowed to register for orientation and enroll at the University on a space-available basis. Contact the Admissions office via email at email@example.com or call the Enrollment Center at (805) 437-8500 for assistance with access to the reservation system and/or waitlist concerns.
- All guests (not students) under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult guest.
- Each guest staying overnight in our on-campus student housing must attend the parent/guest orientation. Guests and students will stay in separate areas of student housing and are asked to stay in the room to which they have been assigned. Housing for guests is available on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information about student housing, please visit http://www.csuci.edu/housing.
- To learn more, please see the 2012 Guest Schedule (PDF, 88KB).
If you have any questions, please contact New Student, Orientation and Transition
(805) 437-3160 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, please visit the Freshman FAQ page.