Table of Contents

How do I make an appointment?

You can make an appointment by calling (805) 437-2088 or emailing and we will get back to you within 24 hours.  We do not make email appointments or engage in counseling via email due to concerns regarding confidentiality and timely response.

Do I need to do anything before my first appointment?

In most instances, prior to your first appointment you will be asked to fill out some background information and read information on counseling and confidentiality.

What to Expect During the First Appointment

  • The first visit will last about 40-50 minutes.
  • It is focused on understanding the nature of your concerns and clarifying goals and expectations.
  • Students are encouraged to participate actively in determining the care they need in order to reach their goals.
  • By the end of the first session, typically an agreement is reached regarding the next steps to take.
  • All counseling sessions are offered at no cost to the student.
  • We offer six counseling sessions per semester.  When long-term, on-going counseling is needed, clients may be referred to outside services that better address their needs.

Individual Continuing Appointments (Follow-up Appointments) [top]

Counseling appointments most often begin on the hour and last 50 minutes. You can help us provide the best possible service by arriving on time for your appointments and by canceling or rescheduling appointments as early as possible when an appointment must be missed.

Crisis Appointments [top]

Crisis intervention is available Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. For urgent on-campus emergencies outside of office hours, please contact the University Police at (805) 437-8888.

In Case of Emergency

Name of Department/AgencyPhone Number
Campus Police(805) 437-8888
Ventura County Crisis Team (adults 21 and older)1-866-998-2243
Children’s Intensive Response Team (under 21 years of age)1-866-431-2478
St. John’s Community Hospital(805) 389-5800
Referral and Information Hotline211
Behavioral Health (Oxnard)(805) 981-6830
Rape Services-Valley Trauma Center(818) 886-0453
Suicide Hotline1-800-273-TALK (8255)

Crisis Assistance

Location: Counseling Center Bell Tower East Room 1865
Hours: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday
Phone: (805) 437-2088

Most PCS services are offered on an appointment basis, but situations arise that require immediate or same day attention. Students in  need of urgent psychological assistance are encouraged to call PCS at (805) 437-2088 or come to Bell Tower East 1865. Please let the receptionist know you would like to speak to a counselor as soon as possible. You will be asked to fill out paper work which will take approximately 10 minutes and most likely will be able to speak with a counselor within an hour. Such circumstances may include, but are not necessarily limited to:

  • Extreme anxiety or panic
  • Extreme sadness
  • Death of a friend or loved one
  • Thoughts of self-harm
  • Thoughts of harming someone else
  • Experiencing a traumatic event
  • Having odd or intrusive thoughts
  • Sexual assault

If you have an urgent situation, call University Police at (805) 437-8888.  If you are on campus and need assistance after PCS office hours or on weekends, please call the University Police at (805) 437-8888. When not on campus, call 911 or have a family member or friend take you to a local emergency room or urgent care clinic.

Outside Referrals [top]

Because of limited resources, students requiring long-term counseling may need to be referred to an off-campus professional. If a PCS counselor determines that a student’s needs exceed his or her ability to provide adequate services, PCS has an ethical responsibility to refer the student to another counselor. While PCS does not endorse or recommend any one particular counselor, a list of qualified local counselors is maintained to meet students’ needs. The cost of off-campus counseling is strictly the responsibility of the student.

Confidentiality [top]

All contacts are confidential with PCS. No student information is released to anyone outside the counseling offices without the student’s written consent. This includes other University offices, faculty, staff or parents.

There are limits to confidentiality as therapists are required by law to report cases of child abuse or abuse of a dependent adult. Therapists may disclose information when it is necessary to protect the client or others from imminent danger. Information may be disclosed when required by a court order. PCS staff members reserve the right to share information with each other for consultation and training purposes.

Other Services [top]

Couples Counseling

College years are not only for learning about academic information; for some it may be a time to expand into the world of relationships for the first time. Many students are involved in current relationships while others begin new relationships. PCS can assist students with relationship issues. This support is not only for intimate relationships but includes all types of relationships such as friends, classmates and family.

Group Counseling

Counseling and therapy groups provide a safe environment for you to learn more about yourself and your interactions with others. Each semester PCS offers a variety of group meetings. If you are interested in a group, come in or call to schedule a screening appointment. Most group meetings are held at the Counseling Center in Yuba Hall. 

Psycho-educational Programs

PCS counselors are available for on-campus and community support through psycho-educational programs. These programs can include presentations on different psychological and AOD (alcohol and other drug) issues:

  • programs provided by PCS to students on-campus
  • programs provided by PCS to faculty and staff
  • programs provided to community partners
  • presentations at state and national conferences