Table of Contents

Where is Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) located? [top]

CAPS is located in Bell Tower East 1856.

How do I make an appointment? [top]

Call (805) 437- 2088 or email and we will get back to you within 24 hours.

What if I make an appointment and decide I don’t need help? [top]

Pressure that prompts you to seek help can ease a bit and it may seem unnecessary to go for counseling. However, these same issues tend to recur until resolved. If you need to miss an appointment please call to cancel as soon as possible.

Is CAPS just about counseling sessions? [top]

No, not at all!  A major part of a college education is the ‘life lessons’ we receive through experience.  CAPS offers educational services to help students with “Life 101.” In addition to providing individual, couples and group counseling, CAPS conducts workshops and  is available to work with any campus group or organization, lectures in classes, and works together with many of the other campus offices and programs to support students’ learning in the classroom and in life. Any issue, big or small, is appropriate to discuss.

When should I visit CAPS? [top]

Here are some examples of when you should definitely visit CAPS:

  • When you feel trapped or that there is nowhere to turn
  • When you worry all the time and never seem to find the answers
  • When the way you feel is affecting your sleep, your eating habits, your job, your relationships, your classes, and how you take care of yourself in everyday life
  • When you feel depressed and can’t seem to pull out of it

What if I need psychiatric medication? [top]

CAPS contracts with a board-certified psychiatrist on a limited basis for those students that require evaluation and administration of psychotropic medication for more serious emotional problems. Additionally, CAPS maintains a referral list of psychiatrists in the local area.  In some cases, CI Student Health Services may prescribe and monitor medications.  The CSU Healthlink student insurance program covers psychiatric visits for certain conditions. For more information on student health insurance, visit

What can you get done in six sessions? [top]

Our goal is to help you learn how to help yourself.  We’re familiar with the University and what it’s like to be a student here, both the good and not-so-good parts.  This gives us the inside track in supporting you as a person and as a student.  You might be surprised at how much can be accomplished.  CAPS can work together with outside therapists, too, for your benefit.

How can I refer someone for counseling? [top]

Faculty, staff, friends or family will often notice changes in a student before he/she does, resulting in concern and a desire to refer them for counseling. We suggest that you first talk with the student, express your concerns and encourage the student to call or visit CAPS to make an appointment. If appropriate, you may make the call and let the student schedule a session. If desired, you may walk the student over to the office and provide support. You can also call and consult with a counselor regarding how to refer an individual who may be reluctant to seek help.

Who provides the counseling? [top]

All counseling services are provided by a licensed psychologist, a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) or a licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW). 

Are there after-hours or emergency services? [top]

A CAPS counselor can be called to assist in an emergency during business hours.  A student cannot call a counselor directly after hours.  University staff would make the call.  If you have an urgent or after hours situation, call University Police at (805) 437-8888.  When not on campus, call 911 or have a family member or friend take you to a local emergency room or urgent care clinic.

I have a question not covered here in the FAQ – who should I ask? [top]

Call Counseling and Psychological Services at (805) 437-2088. You may also email questions to CAPS at

When to Ask For Help [top]

Sometimes personal or psychological problems require more assistance than can be found within your own circle of support. CAPS offers counseling for students who are struggling with issues related to family, social and romantic relationships, life transitions, sexuality, grief, stress, sexual assault, anxiety, loss of motivation or depression. If you are dealing with any of these issues or need professional help in general, please come in or call for an intake appointment.