President Richard R. Rush
Dr. Richard R. Rush is the Founding President of California State University Channel Islands, the most recent addition to the twenty-three campus California State University System and a designated Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) by the Department of Education. Inaugurated in 2001, Dr. Rush brings to the community years of experience as an education and thought leader promoting community engagement and innovation. He is passionately committed to finding forward-thinking solutions and advocating for key policy reform to improve educational access, academic preparation and student success for students within Ventura County and across the Nation.
During his tenure at Cal State Channel Islands, Dr. Rush has facilitated the building of a University for the 21st Century with the hiring of first-rate diverse faculty, the development of innovative and creative programs that prepare students for the future and serve the forecasted needs of the region, as well as the building of campus facilities and grounds that support collaborative and creative learning, and the creation of focused Centers and Institutes.
In addition, Dr. Rush has established key partnerships with local education, business, community, government and industry leaders to further community and educational opportunities as well as regional workforce needs. For example, he co-founded the Ventura County P-16 Regional Council to bring together decision-makers including educational leaders, parents, and business and community agencies with a goal of improving academic preparation of all students in Ventura County and the reduction of achievement gaps. In partnership with the National Park Service, he created the Santa Rosa Island Research Station - a California State University Channel Islands Undergraduate Research Campus which will serve Cal State Channel Islands’ students and faculty as well as a much broader community, including other universities, governmental agencies, cultural institutions, and national and international researchers.
Previously, Dr. Rush spent nine years as president of Minnesota State University.
Dr. Rush holds a Doctor of Philosophy degree in English Renaissance Literature and Master of Arts degree in English Literature from the University of California, Los Angeles. He and his wife Jane reside in Camarillo.
- Honorary Base Commander, Naval Base Ventura County, 2009
- Who's Who in Business Leadership, Pacific Coast Business Times, 2009
- Dr. James F. Cowan Award of Excellence in Education, Ventura County Economic Development Association, 2008
- President's Award, National Association of Student Personnel Administrators - Region VI, 2008
- Statewide President of the Year, California State Students Association, 2008
- Educator of the Year Award, Camarillo Chamber of Commerce, 2008
- President’s Award, NAACP, 2007
- Inducted into the Athletics Hall of Distinction, Minnesota State University, 2006
Community Involvement and Board Memberships
- Board of Directors, California Campus Compact, 2004-Present
- Board of Directors, Camarillo Chamber of Commerce, 2001-Present
- Honorary Member, Camarillo Rotary Club, 2005-Present
- Board of Directors, Channel Cities Club, 2009-Present
- Board of Trustees, Community Memorial Hospital, 2010-Present
- Chair, P-16 Regional Council, 2008-Present
- Board of Governors, Tower Club, 2011-Present