Watersport Activities | Rates and Registration |Driving Directions|Register Now! (Registration will begin March, 2015)
About the Camp
At the Channel Islands Boating Center Watersports Camp we pride ourselves in providing first-class programs that take full advantage of all the amenities of the beautiful Channel Islands Harbor. Our camp offers courses for all skill levels. Whether you are a beginner or have engaged in watersport activities for years, you can find fun, excitement and a challenge on the water. With a safety first attitude, our professional instructors, who hold the proper certifications, allow all students the opportunity to learn in a fun and safe environment. Whether the activity is windsurfing, kayaking, or sailing, our camp is intended to teach the skills necessary for handling and maneuvering these vessels safely while teaching proper etiquette and seamanship that is useful in all types of boating.
Participants will select one specialized instructional activity for the week: Sailing, Kayaking, or Windsurfing. They will receive instruction in this activity each day from 9:00AM to 3:30PM Each day will be filled with hands-on instruction, water and land-based games, water safety, and environmental education, which includes hands-on experience with marine life at the Oxnard College Marine Education Center. Campers will explore issues ranging from undersea life to physical oceanography where they will discover the forces that create waves, participate in creative artwork that incorporates the marine life, come face-to-face with some of the Channel Islands underwater residents inside a touch tank and learn how to protect our fragile marine habitat. Join us for this unique opportunity to learn about the ocean environment.
Family Day at the Docks
Guests are invited to attend Family Day at the Docks held on each Friday from 12:00PM - 2:30PM The Family Day at the Docks allows guests to join in their camper's experience by either sailing or kayaking with their camper. Parents interested in the Family Day at the Docks must give the front desk a number of participants Friday morning. Caution parents: please come prepared to get wet and have a great time!
- Children ages 8-16
- Children must be 10 years old or older for Windsurfing
- All campers must be qualified swimmers “water safe.” Campers will be required to pass a swim test consisting of a 50-meter swim and 2 1/2 minutes of treading water on the first day of camp.
- All parents must submit a health questionnaire, which is part of the registration process on Regonline.
- While we encourage all children to participate, campers must be of sound health with no specific ailments, injuries, or disabilities that would affect their ability to have a safe experience. If participants have needs that require special consideration, parents must contact the camp coordinator at least 14 business days in advance. Please contact Joshua Wade at (805) 437-3212.
Registration will begin March, 2015 for one-week summer sessions
The CSU Channel Islands Youth Watersports Camp operates Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.
- 8:30AM - 9:00 a.m. Arrival, Check-In
- 9:00AM - 12:00PM Morning Instructional Activities
- 12:00PM - 12:30PM Lunch
- 12:30PM – 1:00PM Aquasmart Lesson
- 1:00PM - 3:30PM Afternoon Instructional Activities
- 3:30PM - 4:00PM Equipment Check-In and Clean-Up
If your child needs to be picked up or dropped off during the schedule of a normal day, please contact the Camp Coordinator prior to that day. Special pickup or drop off MUST be pre-approved or take place between 12:00PM and 1:00PM or campers may be “on the water” and not accessible.
At the End of Each Day
At the end of the day all boats and gear must be put away and the dock must be cleared of all gear and equipment. Clean-up will begin no later than 3:30PM To encourage teamwork, no participant may leave until all boats and gear are properly put away. Participants will be ready to be picked up by 4:00PM All participants must be picked up by 4:00PM
Participants must provide their own transportation to and from the waterfront.
Participants must provide their own sack lunches and beverages, especially water each day of camp.
What to Expect....Monday Morning Check-In:
Check in will be located at the Channel Islands Boating Center between 8:30AM and 9:00AM. Please be patient when waiting for your child to be checked in. We need to check in every child individually to make sure that they are properly placed in a group. We try to be as fast and efficient as possible however you should still allow extra time on Monday morning. To help the morning run more smoothly, you can do the following:
- Make sure your child has already applied his/ her sun block and his/ her is prepared with a lunch and plenty of water.
- Make sure that the Participant Packets are filled out completely (the release form must be signed and completed).
Once your child has been placed with an instructor:
- Put your child’s lunch and bag on summer camp shelves in the trailer. Participants and guardians are only allowed in the trailer when accompanied with an instructor.
After the first day, you will need to check your child in and out each day. Camp begins promptly at 9:00AM. If you know that they will be late or missing a day, please let us know at (805) 437-8902.
What to Bring
The Channel Islands Boating Center Watersports Camp will provide all of the necessary gear and equipment for the participants. For your child’s safety and comfort both on and off the water, the following items are highly recommended for every class every day.
- Sunglasses (with “Croakies” or other tethering systems)
- Sun block (waterproof and 30 SPF or more)
- Flip Flops/Sandals
- Swim shorts
- Extra change of clothes
- Sack lunch (There will be no time to purchase a lunch during the day at the harbor. Please supply a lunch prior to arriving!)
- Plenty of water
- Any medications*
- Anything else that you may feel is necessary
*Note: Channel Islands Boating Center instructors will not administer any medications to participants. Please see exception on Regonline.
Lost and Found
Please clearly mark all of your child’s belongings. Please speak to your child about the importance of keeping track of all of his/ her personal belongings. All items left on the dock, or in and around the building will be placed in the Lost and Found box. Please check to see that your child has all of his or her belongings at the end of the day. The Channel Islands Boating Center Watersports Camp is not responsible for any items that are lost or stolen items.