About CSU Channel Islands
The SBI Program Operations
- The CSUCI SBI will utilize teams of senior-level or graduate business students under
faculty supervision, to conduct in-depth consulting and field case projects to analyze
and create solutions for specific small business problem.
- The CSUCI SBI is unique in its funding source in that it has secured private entity
funding and works at developing strategic ongoing financial alliances with private
business entities and stakeholders throughout the CSUCI service area.
- The CSUCI SBI is operated under the direction of the SBI Director who reports to the
Chair of Business and Economics. The overall SBI Program operates with a cooperative
agreement between the CSUCI President’s Foundation and the University.
- The SBI is operated in the Business and Economics Program. Students enrolled in courses
such Accounting, Management and Marketing and Small Business Management will participate
in the program as SBI student consultants.
- The SBI students meet frequently with the small business owners over the course of
the academic term to learn about the business, observe operations, and address specific
- The SBI students conduct an in-depth analysis of the business and its industry prior
to recommending solutions to the small business client. Then, they focus on a particular
problem or opportunity and recommend solutions or courses of action to implement.
At the end of the semester the SBI client receives a thorough written and oral report
from the student team and the students receives credit/grades for their participation.
All the SBI services are provided free of charge to qualified small businesses.
- In 2005, the SBI will plan on providing and administering a micro-loan program enabling
qualifying small businesses to borrow up to $10,000.00 for expansion and working capital
- Additionally, the SBI Director and certain B&E Faculty will work with local community
leaders and public economic development agencies to assist in developing a long-term
business development strategy focusing on improving the small business fabric located
in the CSUCI service communities.