Student Grievance Procedure
Intent: Students have the right to bring complaints regarding faculty or staff to the attention of the University. The intent of this procedure is to outline the appropriate steps for resolution.
The Procedure for Student Grievance is not the appropriate procedure for addressing student complaints of discrimination, harassment or retaliation (DHR).
- Student complaint procedures to address reports of discrimination, harassment or retaliation by the CSU, a CSU employee, another student, or a third party must follow the procedures outlined in CSU Executive Order 1074.
- Please contact: Anna Pavin, DHR Administrator and Title IX Coordinator, Human Resources Programs in Solano Hall, Room 1123, (805) 437-8490.
Accountability: Dean of Faculty, Dean of Students, Dean of Enrollment, Vice President for Academic Affairs and Vice President for Student Affairs
Applicability: Students enrolled full or part-time at CSU Channel Islands including programs administered through CI Extended Education.
Procedure: If a student has a complaint or problem, he/she should follow these steps to resolution:
When the complaint involves faculty or staff in Academic Affairs, address the concern (in this order) to:
- the faculty member (first step)
- the program chair
- the Dean of the Faculty
- the Vice President for Academic Affairs
When the complaint involves an administrative office or staff member, address the concern (in this order) to:
- the employee (first step)
- the employee’s supervisor (if not the director)
- the director of the department
- the Dean of Students, Dean of Enrollment, or Dean of Faculty (whichever is applicable)
- the Vice President for Student Affairs or the Vice President for Academic Affairs
If your complaint is not resolved at the first step, please submit your complaint in writing to the appropriate staff/administrator listed in step two of the procedures. Please note that any steps in the procedure that are not followed accordingly may result in an untimely delay in a response to your grievance.
For more information or questions regarding the Procedure for Student Grievance, contact:
- Dean of Students office, Bell Tower East 1802, (805) 437-8512
- Dean of Enrollment office, Sage Hall 1109, (805) 437-8576
- Dean of Faculty office, Bell Tower 1164, (805) 437-8967
Procedure approved by Damien Peña, Dean of Students, and Dr. Wm. Gregory Sawyer, Vice President for Student Affairs.