Attention CI Students:
By now you have probably heard about the Affordable Care Act, sometimes called ObamaCare. Under this law you may find that you are now eligible for the newly expanded Medi-Cal program or for financial assistance when purchasing private health insurance through a new state government agency, Covered California (CC).
I would like to invite you to attend a series of informational sessions that will be offered on our campus. A United Way Covered California Certified Educator will be available to explain what the new law means for you and your family and, specifically, how you and your family might be able to access very affordable health insurance.
As a college student, you may be wondering how Covered California will benefit you. Here are some facts that you should know:
- If you’re 26 years old or younger, you can obtain coverage under your parents’ health insurance plan!
- Now that you are guaranteed coverage - you can no longer be denied coverage due to a pre- existing condition!
- Covered California will:
- Help you shop and compare plan options;
- Help you determine if you qualify for financial assistance that will lower your costs; and
- Provide enrollment assistance online, on the phone, or in person.
I encourage you to attend, especially if you have not been able to afford health insurance. You may learn that you and other members of your family are now able to do so. The open enrollment period for health insurance started October 1 and will continue into the new year, with coverage beginning on January 1, 2014. To learn more about Covered California, please attend one of the following sessions on our campus:
Group Presentations:Santa Cruz Village (Student Housing), G1 Lounge: Tuesday, November 5, from 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Student Union Building, Meeting Room A (Rm. 2021): Tuesday, November 5, from 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Anacapa Village (Student Housing), Commons: Tuesday, November 12, from 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- Student Union Building:
- Coville Conference Room (Rm. 1080): Wednesday, November 20, from 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Meeting Room A (Rm. 2021): Wednesday, November 20, from 5:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
If you are unable to attend one of the scheduled sessions listed above and would like to learn more, please contact Ms. Catherine Pedrosa at Catherine.email@example.com or call her at (805) 485-6288 x270.
There is also a CSU website set up to explain the new law and its implications for CSU students.
You can also connect with Covered California at/on:
I look forward to seeing you at one of the upcoming informational sessions.
Wm. Gregory Sawyer, Ph.D.
Vice President for Student Affairs
CSU Channel Islands
Camarillo, CA 93012