Student Organizations & Involvement (SOI) encourages students to establish student organizations that meet an unmet need. Student organizations must design and implement programs, events, and activities which support and enrich the goals of CSU Channel Islands' educational mission. Involvement in student organizations presents students with the opportunity to broaden their learning, obtain leadership and interpersonal skills, and develop a commitment to service. Student participation in student organizations attracts new students to our campus and integrates them into our CI culture and traditions. Student organizations strengthen campus-community relations, improve inter-institutional communications, and facilitate students' acquisition of skills.
Student organizations are expected to abide by the polices, rules and regulations listed on the Policies and Guidelines page. Sports clubs should visit Campus Recreation's web page to access information and resources to address their needs.
If you see a need for a new student organization on campus, why not start it yourself?
What is Needed to Start a Student Organization?
- Five students willing to participate in your student organization
- One advisor (must be CI faculty, staff or administrator)
- A ratified constitution (see the Developing a Constitution page for additional information)
- An eligible president, vice president, and treasurer (see the Officer and Member Information page for additional information)
What are the Types of Student Organizations?
Two Options for Starting a Student Organization
Exploration of Interest Status
If student organizations do not have the items necessary to start a registered student organization but do have five interested students, the group can apply for Exploration of Interest Status. Exploration of Interest Status allows the group to secure meeting space and advertise their group on campus (only). This will facilitate the process for them to recruit members and an advisor, and receive assistance with completing the registered process.
- In order to Exploration of Interest Status, students must submit a Request for Exploration of Interest Form (located in CISync)
- Access CISync
- Enter your University login credentials
- Locate Student Organizations on the left side of the screen
- Click on the forms icon
- Locate and submit the Exploration of Interest Form (five members required)
Starting a Registered Student Organization for 2016-2017
STEP 1: Complete the CISync Registration Form
Please note: In order to complete this form, you will need the name, student ID number, and MyCI email address of all officers and the name and CI email address of advisor(s) of the student organization and a ratified constitution.
- Access CISync
- Enter your University login credentials
- Click "Organizations" on the top tool bar
- Click "Add Organization"
- Click "Register New Organization"
- Click to select the umbrella "Student Organizations & Involvement" for non-sports clubs, select the umbrella "Campus Recreation" for sports clubs (including dance clubs)
- Click "Submit Query"
- Complete all required fields on each page of the form
STEP 2: The president must complete the President Agreement
- After step 1 is completed, Presidents are emailed a link to the agreement. If you cannot find the email, log into CI Sync, click on your name in the top right, and select ‘Notifications’. In the Notifications page a note will be present with a link to the form.
STEP 3: The advisor(s) must complete the Advisor Agreement
- After step 1 is completed, Advisors are emailed a link to the agreement. If you cannot find the email, log into CI Sync, click on your name in the top right, and select ‘Notifications’. In the Notifications page a note will be present with a link to the form.
STEP 4: All officers must complete the online Student Organization Integrity Workshop, and complete the related quiz within CI Sync (link to quiz is at end of workshop).
- An officer may not be active until SOI has verified his/her eligibility and he/she has completed this workshop.
- The orientation must be submitted by the registration deadline, or no later than 10 business days after the officer assumes their position (in the event of an officer change).
Please note: The following are the minimum eligibility requirements to be an officer of a student organization at CSU Channel Islands:
- Must be enrolled in no less than six units at CSU Channel Islands (undergraduates)
- Must be enrolled in no less than three units at CSU Channel Islands (graduate and credential)
- Have a cumulative, CI and semester GPA of at least 2.5 (undergraduates)
- Have a cumulative, CI and semester GPA of at least 3.0 (graduate and credential)
- Be in good academic and behavioral standing (not on academic or disciplinary probation)
- Be free of any holds on University records.
STEP 5: All Presidents and Treasurers must attend the mandatory in-person Student Organization Officer Orientation.
STEP 6: Event Scheduler must attend a mandatory Event Scheduler Orientation.
STEP 7: Treasurers and Presidents must sign the 'ASI Administration of Funds' form.
- This form will be present at Officer Orientations, or can be signed by visiting the SEAL Center.
STEP 8: Advisors must complete an Advisor Orientation
- NEW Advisors must attend an in-person orientation. Date and time TBD and will be arranged by the Coordinator of Student Organizations & Involvement.
- RETURNING Advisors must complete/review an online orientation and submit their orientation acknowledgement within the 2016-2017 Advisor Agreement form (it will be a page in the form).
- Advisor orientations must be completed by the registration deadline.
STEP 9: At least five members must be added to your student organization's portal.
- Log in to CI Sync, and access your student organization's portal from the 'My Memberships' tab at the top right of the page.
- Click on "People" on your organization’s left hand toolbar
- Click "Invite People"
- Complete the invitation process by either emailing the link to your organization to your group members or entering your group members email addresses on the form (don't forget to click "Submit").