iPad Purchasing and Support
A lot of interest has been generated about the new iPad device released by Apple Computers, and much has been said about the possible impact the iPad may have on higher education. Information about purchase, support and shared iPads is outlined below.
Please contact Chris Mattia, Director of Academic Technology if you have any questions, or have a good idea about integrating iPads into the teaching and learning experience of our students.
The Procurement Process:
- To buy an iPad request a quote by contacting the Help Desk.
- Once the iPad is delivered to campus, Shipping and Receiving delivers it to T&C for asset tagging and inventory.
- T&C technician will deliver the iPad to the purchaser who must sign a home use permit prior to the release of the iPad.
- For iPads with multiple users, the department chair or supervisor will need to sign the home use permit and maintain a record of who the ipad(s) are distributed to.
Apple’s website has tutorials on how to use the iPad. They are located at:
- iPad Support Page: http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/
- Manual: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPad_User_Guide.pdf
- Much like an iPhone the user is expected to learn the basic functions of the device such as buying applications, using applications and connecting to wi-fi signals on the go.
- For help with wireless access, please contact the help desk.
Important Information Regarding Shared iPads
- The ipad can be setup fresh from the box without an ITunes account.
- Any iTunes account that a user signs ON to can be signed OFF from at any time
- Anyone who is given the iPad can Sign ON with their own account and they will have to sign OFF when they are done.
- Once an iTunes account has been signed ON to any person using the iPad can buy at will without password request
- For iPads with multiple users, the department chair or supervisor will need to sign the home use permit and maintain a record of who the ipads are distributed to. Please download a copy of the Home User Permit.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I access my MS Word documents?
- You can download the MS Word App from the Apple App Store. You must have an Office 365 subscription in order to edit.
- How do I access my MS Excel documents?
- You can download the MS Excel App from the Apple App Store. You must have an Office 365 subscription in order to edit.
- What about Google docs?
- There are apps for Google docs, but only for viewing docs, not editing.
- How do I connect to the CI wi-fi?
- Follow the instructions on the. How To Register for CI web Access.
- How do I setup my CI email account to work my?
- You can watch this short video which will provide you with instructions for setting up your CI email account.
- How do I buy applications on the iPad?
- Sign-in to your personal iTunes account. Pro-card accounts are not allowed.
- How do I access my H drive?
- Campus network drives are not accessible from the iPad.
- How do I print.
- You cannot print from the iPad.
- Can I share my Ipad with others?
- It is recommended that you sign-out of iTunes to avoid others from buying music or applications with your account.