Web Accessibility is Not Only the Law...It's Good Practice
As a public institution and a member of the California State University system, CSU Channel Islands is required by law to ensure that its web sites are accessible to all its users.
More importantly, the principles of web site accessibility espouse industry-standard "best practices" in web design and facilitate web site usability.
Here you will find resources and tools to help you learn about web accessibility and how to make sure your web site is accessible.
How to Start Building Accessible Web Sites
Follow these 5 steps to build accessible web sites:
- View the "Keeping Web Accessibility In Mind" video from WebAIM.
- Read the Section 508 Guidelines
- Read the Access Board "Guide to Section 508 Standards for Web Sites"
- View any/all of the web sites in the "Learn About Web Accessibility" section.
- Check your pages using any/all of the tools in the "Accessibility Check Tools" section.
Contact Web Services with any questions.
For All Types of Documents (HTML, Word, PDF, and more)
- Accessibility Quick Check (in PDF Format) - provides a list of the most common checks to ensure Web pages and other common types of documents (Word, PDF, PowerPoint) are accessible. To view this file, Download Adobe Acrobat.
- TPG Colour Contrast Analyzer
For Web Pages only
Web Accessibility Presentation Materials
- Creating Accessible Word Documents, Excel Workbooks, and PowerPoint Presentations
- Accessible PDF's
- Web Accessibility 1
Learn About Accessibility
- Jim Thatcher Section 508 Tutorial
- Dive Into Accessibility
- WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind
- CSU Accessible Technology Initiative
- Guide to Disability Rights Law, U.S. Department of Justice, August 2004
- Section 508
- Section 504
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
U.S. Government Web Accessibility Sites
Technology-Specific Web Accessibility Resources
Adobe Acrobat PDF
- Adobe Accessibility web site
- "Defining Acrobat PDF Accessibility" at WebAIM
- "Facts and Opinions About PDF Accessibility" by Joe Clark
- PDF Accessibility Links
- 2005 CMP Captioning Key: Guidelines and Preferred Techniques (PDF, 1.32MB)
- Captioned Media Program Captioning Resources
- NCAM Rich Media Accessibility Captioning Resources
Web Accessibility Guidelines
- W3C Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
- Section 508 standards
Free Tools (web-based)
- HiSoftware Cynthia Says - checks Section 508 or WCAG
- WAVE 3.0 Accessibility Tool - checks page reading order
- JuicyStudio Color Contrast Analyzer - checks page color contrast
- Firefox- a web standards compliant web browser
- Firefox Web Developer Toolbar - a toolbar for Firefox to help perform quick accessibility checks
- Evaluating Web Sites for Accessibility with the Firefox Web Developer Toolbar (from WebAIM)
- AMP Express - checks Section 508 or WCAG
- HiSoftware Compliance Sheriff
- The University has a license for campus use of Compliance Sheriff. Please contact the Help Desk for assistance with running an accessibility scan on your CI web site.
Web Accessibility at CSU Channel Islands
Supervisor of Web Services
Office Hours & Location
9:00am - 5:00pm Monday - Friday
Solano Hall 2210