iPad Purchasing and Support
The iPad is a popular tablet computing device with a myriad of teaching, learning and productivity applications and is a lightweight alternative to a laptop computer. Information about purchase, support and shared iPads is outlined below.
The Procurement Process:
To buy an iPad:
- First request a quote by emailing the Help Desk.
- Once you receive your quote, submit the quote with your Request for Goods and Services (RGS) as a standard IT procurement, using the instructions and standard procurement form on the T&I Purchasing page. This will enable you to track your iPad purchase.
- Once the iPad is delivered to campus, Shipping and Receiving delivers it to T&I for asset tagging and inventory.
- T&I technician will deliver the iPad to the purchaser who must sign a home use permit prior to the release of the iPad.
- For iPads with multiple users, the department chair or supervisor will need to sign the T&I Home Use Permit and maintain a record of who the iPad(s) are distributed to.
Apple’s website has tutorials on how to use the iPad. They are located at:
- Much like an iPhone the user is expected to learn the basic functions of the device such as buying applications, using applications and connecting to wi-fi signals on the go.
- For help with wireless access, please contact the help desk.
Important Information Regarding Shared iPads
- The ipad can be setup fresh from the box without an ITunes account.
- Any iTunes account that a user signs ON to can be signed OFF from at any time
- Anyone who is given the iPad can Sign ON with their own account and they will have to sign OFF when they are done.
- Once an iTunes account has been signed ON to any person using the iPad can buy at will without password request
- For iPads with multiple users, the department chair or supervisor will need to sign the home use permit and maintain a record of who the ipads are distributed to. Please download a copy of the Home User Permit. (PDF, 63.3KB)
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I access my MS Word documents?
A: You can download the MS Word App from the Apple App Store. You must have an Office 365 subscription in order to edit.
- How do I access my MS Excel documents?
A: You can download the MS Excel App from the Apple App Store. You must have an Office 365 subscription in order to edit.
- What about Google docs?
A: You can download the Google Drive and Google Docs apps for free from the Apple App Store. The Google Docs app allows viewing and editing of Google Docs content.
- How do I connect to the CI wi-fi?
A: Visit the T&I Wireless page for instructions.
- How do I setup my CI email account to work my iPad?
A: Visit the Email Help page for information on connecting to your CI email.
- How do I buy applications on the iPad?
A: Sign-in to your personal iTunes account. Pro-card accounts are not allowed.
- How do I access my H drive?
A: Campus network drives are not accessible from the iPad.
- How do I print?
A: You can print by emailing your documents as attachments from your CI email address, and then releasing them at a campus printer. Please visit the Mobile Printing page for instructions.
- Can I share my iPad with others?
A: It is recommended that you sign-out of iTunes to avoid others from buying music or applications with your account.