Leaders in Education Awareness Program (LEAP)
CI Student Volunteer Program
Apply to LEAP!
The online application for LEAP Spring 2014 is now available!
See below for more details.
Overview of LEAP
The Leaders in Education Awareness Program (LEAP) was designed and launched in 2006 to address the interest of CI students in exposing K-8th grade students in Ventura County to the college exploration process. Each semester, CI student volunteers are selected to participate in this rewarding and prestigious community outreach experience. LEAP student volunteers are known for their commitment to community service, love for children and especially for their dedication to CI. Many LEAP volunteers are the first in their families to attend college and understand the barriers that first-generation, low-income students face.
A LEAP student’s passion is exhibited when he/she hosts three Pathway to College Campus Visit Programs per month and attends one monthly training. Some LEAP students even take part in the LEAP-Further program and host tours Monday through Thursday around their school and work schedules. Aside from being outstanding hosts to our outreach programs, these students are committed to serving as volunteers and coordinators for our large-scale outreach events, on and off campus.
Fundamentals of LEAP
Social Justice in Education, Communication and Public Speaking, and Leadership
Objectives of LEAP
- To educate CI students about social justice in education, focusing on issues relevant to Ventura County
- To teach CI students how to effectively communicate the public and private benefits of higher education to K-8th grade students
- To train CI students on how to deliver an effective presentation geared toward K-8th grade students
- To become a student leader on the CI campus and a role model for the community
Requirements to Participate
- Full-time undergraduate student
- Must enjoy working with children
- Must have a passion for volunteerism
- In good standing with CI (e.g., not on disciplinary probation)
How to Apply
To apply for LEAP for the Fall 2014 semester, please adhere to the following application process:
- LEAP Applications Available: Tuesday, April 1, 2014
- LEAP Application Deadline: Wednesday, April 23, 2014, at 5:00 p.m. Deliver to Bell Tower 1885.
- Initial Notification Via Email: Friday, April 26, 2014
- Interviews Conducted: Week of April 28-May 2, 2014
- Notification if Selected as a LEAP Volunteer Via Email: Monday, May 5, 2014
- Acceptance of LEAP Volunteer Role: Friday, May 16, 2014
- Tentative Fall 2014 Overnight Retreat: Friday, August 29 - Saturday, August 30, 2014
- First Pathway to College Campus Visit: Friday, September 5, 2014
A Big Thank You
6 Years of Service, 60 Student Leaders, Thousands of
Thank you to all past and present CI student leaders who have
committed their time to sharing their college success stories with
children in Ventura County and made LEAP the award-winning
program it has become!