Table of Contents

Transferable Credit/Classes

Can I take classes over the summer at a community college?
If you plan to attend a California community college, you can visit to check what is articulated to transfer from the community college to CI for major, GE or elective units. If you are going to a school that doesn’t have an articulation agreement on assist for the class you want to take, you can fill out a Major/Minor or GE /Graduation Substitution Request form to find out if the class can transfer. You should fill out this form before you complete the class and turn it into the Enrollment Center, Sage Hall 1020.

If I have completed 70 units at the community college, can I still take classes at the community college?
If you already have 70 transfer units from the community college, you can still take classes to satisfy requirements if the courses are articulated on or approved by petition. The course will satisfy the class requirement, but you will not receive the units for the course. If you are a transfer student with 70 units from the community college, you will need a minimum of 50 units at the university level.

Where do I find out information about Advanced Placement Exams?
Please refer to the catalog or to the Academic Advising website for information. Remember to check the Advanced Placement information for the year you completed the exam/s.   View our Transfer Credit Page

Where do I find out information about credit for International Baccalaureate Exams?
Please refer to the catalog or to the Academic Advising website for information. Remember to check the International Baccalaureate information for the year you completed the exam/s. View our Transfer Credit Page

Where do I find out information about CLEP tests?
Please refer to the catalog and the Academic Advising website for information.  View our Transfer Credit Page

What if a class didn’t transfer for a class I think it should count for?
You can fill out a Major/Minor or GE/Graduation Substitution Request located on the Registrar’s Office website. You need to attach a course description to the petition form.  An Academic Advisor can help you with the petition process during your scheduled or walk-in appointment.

What does GE or IGETC certified mean?
If you are a transfer student, you can be CSU General Education certified or Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum certified from the community college in general education areas A-E. If you are GE certified in areas A-E, you have satisfied your A-E general education requirements for CI.  You can be partially certified in one or more GE areas.

Can an Advisor assist me with questions regarding transferring to another school?
Contact the Admissions office at the school you wish to attend. CI Advisors cannot assist you with specific questions related to transferring to another institution.



Academic Probation

Where can I get FAQs specifically about the probation process?
Click  Probation FAQ.




Academic Disqualification

Where can I get FAQs specifically about disqualification?
Click Disqualification FAQ.





When should I apply for graduation?
Deadlines are posted on the Registrar’s Office website. The current deadlines are 2 semesters in advance of the term you want to graduate. The Application for Degree and Diploma form is only available online.

How do I find out about information for Commencement?
Please refer to the Commencement website for details.

Can I receive honors at graduation?
Yes, you can receive honors at graduation if you have completed a minimum of 30 units at CI and earn a grade point average of at least 3.5 or above in your cumulative and CI GPA’s. For Cum Laude, you need a cumulative and CI GPA of 3.50-3.74. For Magna Cum Laude, you need a 3.75-3.89 cumulative and CI GPA. For Summa Cum Laude, you need a cumulative and CI GPA of 3.90-4.0.

Do I get a graduation check before I graduate?
There are no formal graduation checks performed.  Please see the Registrar’s Office website for full information regarding graduation.



Graduation Requirements

What is the Upper Division Interdisciplinary General Education requirement (UDIGE)?
You need 3 UDIGE courses in order to graduate from CI if you started at CI prior to Fall 2018. These 3 courses are any course numbered between 330-349 or 430-449. These courses must be taken in residency and satisfy the Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR).

What is the GWAR requirement?
The Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement is satisfied by completing the 3 Upper Division Interdisciplinary GE (UDIGE) courses. UDIGE courses are writing intensive courses. CI students are not required to take a written exam to satisfy the GWAR.

Do I need elective units to graduate?
You need a minimum of 120 units to graduate. If your total units after completing all major, general education and graduation requirements do not add up to 120, you will need elective units to make up the difference.

How many total upper division units do I need in order to graduate?
You need a minimum of 40 upper division units. These 40 units can come from your major, GE, electives or upper division transfer units. Many majors require less than 40 upper division units and students will need to take additional upper division units to meet the requirement of 40. If you transfer in upper division units, you need to make sure that at least 24 of these 40 upper division units are here in residency at CI.

What graduation requirements require a C- or better?
You are required to receive a C- or better in the language and UDIGE requirements (if you started at CI prior to Fall 2018). 

Can I take another language besides Spanish, American Sign Language, Arabic or Chinese?
Yes, you can take another language at the community college or another university. If you take a language course at the community college, as a general rule, make sure the language course is a general education course at the community college as conversational courses do not meet the foreign language requirement. If you take a language course at another university, you may need to fill out a GE/Graduation Substitution Request in order to receive credit.  You may have already met the language requirement at another institution if you are a transfer student.




What if there is a discrepancy on my CI Academic Requirements Report (CARR)?
The Registrar’s Office maintains your CARR. Email Registrar’s Office at and ask to have your CARR corrected or updated.

Can I repeat a class?
CI has a repeat/delete policy that can apply up to 16 units total if you receive a C- or lower in a class. In this case, you can repeat the same class and replace the first grade you receive with the second grade you receive. You can attempt to repeat the same class one time after the first attempt. This repeat/delete policy only applies to classes completed here at CI. Beyond 16 units, only 12 additional units will be averaged into the GPA. If you repeat the same class at the community college after you received a C- or lower at CI, the grades will average in your cumulative or major GPA’s. Please refer to the Registrar’s Office website on Repeats, Withdrawals and Incompletes.

Can I take a class for credit/no credit?
A student can take a course credit/no credit if the course is designated as having the option for CR/NC grading. This information can be found in the course description for the course. You can check with the Registrar’s Office in Sage Hall, Room 1020 or an Academic Advisor if you have questions.

How can I change my major?
You can fill out a Change of Major/Minor form and have an Academic Advisor or Faculty Advisor sign it and bring it to the Enrollment Center, Sage Hall 1020 to be processed. This form is located online on the Registrar’s Office website. There are a few exceptions where the Faculty Advisor must sign this form.

How can I take more than 18 units in a semester?
If you want to take more than 18 units, you need to get an Additional Unit Authorization form signed.  This form is located online on the Registrar’s Office website.  If you have a major, the Additional Unit Authorization would need to be signed by the Faculty Advisor or Chair of your major. If you are undeclared, an Academic Advisor needs to sign the form. Your request can be denied.

What is an “Incomplete” grade?
An incomplete grade ("I") indicates that an extension of the assignment of a final grade from the professor has been approved because the student has not completed a portion of required course work. Reasons for the request usually indicate an unforeseen and justifiable interruption occurred during that course. Once an instructor and student agree on the terms and deadlines a "contract" is signed. You will have up to one calendar year to complete the class and if not completed, the incomplete automatically converts to an “IC” grade which is equivalent to an “F” grade in the GPA.  Please refer to the Registrar’s Office website on Repeats, Withdrawals and Incompletes.

Can I appeal a grade?
You can appeal a final course grade only by following these steps:
1. Direct your appeal to the Professor of the course in writing by the end of the seventh week of the semester and copy the Chair. Your Professor has two weeks to respond in writing to you and the Chair. If you file an appeal after the fifth week, your appeal may not be settled by the end of the semester.
2. If the grade is correct and you are not satisfied with the Professor’s response, you can make an appointment with the Chair to appeal the grade. If the Professor does not respond to the student’s appeal within this designated time period, then the Program Chair can act on behalf of the Professor. If the Professor is the Program Chair, you can talk to the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
3.  If you are still not satisfied after receiving a response from the appropriate administrator, you can submit a written appeal by the end of the eleventh week of the semester to the University Appeals Committee through the Academic Affairs Office.
4. The University Appeals Committee will get a written response from the Professor and review the information submitted to see if more information is needed or make a decision on a grade.
5. You will be notified in writing of the decision.

What are important deadlines for adding, dropping or withdrawing from class/es?
Please refer to the Change of Program Table on the Registrar’s Office website for deadlines regarding add/drop, withdrawals and complete withdrawals.

What if I can’t register for a course and I meet the prerequisite?
If you have met the prerequisite with an articulated or an approved petitioned course and are not able to register for the course, you need to contact the Registrar’s Office via email  If you met the prerequisite with a course not articulated you must contact the faculty advisor of your major to determine if you have actually met the prerequisite.

Who do I meet with to get approval for study abroad courses?
You should meet with your Faculty Advisor to discuss the courses you could take abroad to satisfy major requirements.  Academic Advisors can only assist with reviewing remaining degree and graduation requirements.

How do I know what my Catalog year is?
Check your CI Academic Requirements Report (CARR) through your MyCI portal to confirm your catalog year. For more information please view, how to view your CARR.  Typically, it is the year you started at CI.  It can also be the year you declared your major.

Who is my Advisor? Do I have one specifically assigned to me?
All undergraduate students have professional and Major Advisors available to assist with questions regarding academic programs and graduation requirements at CI.  Professional advisors (Academic Advisors) located in the Academic Advising Center are open to all undergraduate students and are not assigned to students. You may see any Advisor each time you come in or you can see the same one based on your preference or first available.  A list of Major Advisors based on major can be found on this website under Major Advising or in the case outside the Advising Center.

What is my class standing based on my units?
Check your CARR to confirm the number of units you have earned.

0-29 Freshman
30-59 Sophomore
60-89 Junior
90+ Senior

Disclaimer – For more information regarding transfer credit, your CARR, substitution/petition status, or forms please contact Records & Registration.


To view Adobe PDF documents, please download and install the free Adobe Reader.

Back to Top ↑