Legal residents of California are not charged tuition. The following reflects applicable systemwide fees and nonresident tuition for both the quarter and the semester. (Fees are subject to change without notice.)

All Students

Application Fee (nonrefundable), payable by check or money order at time application is made: $55

All campuses except California State University, Stanislaus:

UnitsPer SemesterPer Year
0 to 6.0$732$1,464
6.1 or more$1,260$2,520
Credential Program Participants
0 to 6.0$849$1,698
6.1 or more$1,461$2,922
0.1 to 6.0$900$1,800
6.1 or more$1,551$3,102

Fee rates for the 2006-07 academic year are based on fee rates proposed in the Governor's Budget. The governor bought out fee increases approved by the CSU Board of Trustees at their October meeting and maintained CSU fee rates at 2005-06 levels. The cost of this fee buy-out is $54.4 million. The fee rates included in the governor's budget proposal must be approved by the legislature; consequently it is possible that fee rates ultimately required for the 2006-07 academic year may be more than the rates billed at this time. If rates are increased in the budget that is enacted for the 2006 fiscal year, student will receive a supplemental billing in the amount of the difference. The Board of Trustees have approved fee increases for 2006-07 that are 8 percent above fee rates charged undergraduate students in 2005-06 and 10 percent above fee rates that were charged students enrolled in teacher credential programs and graduate/postbaccalaureate programs in 2005-06.

Nonresident Students (U.S. and Foreign)

Nonresident tuition (in addition to other fees charged all students) for all campuses:

Semester Charge Per Unit: $339

The total nonresident tuition paid per term will be determined by the number of units taken. The maximum nonresident tuition per academic year (as of 2005-06) is $10,170.

Mandatory systemwide fees are waived for those individuals who qualify for such exemption under the provisions of the California Education Code (see section on fee waivers).

Additional CSUCI Fees

* indicates Refundable fee

Associated Student Fee$62.00
Student Body Center Fee$20.00
Instructionally Related Activities$50.00
Health Facilities Fee$3.00
Student Health Services Fee$60.00
Materials, Services & Facilities Fee$35.00
Other CSUCI Fees and Charges 
Application fee$55.00
*Breakage Card Fees$25.00
Campus ID card$15.00
Check Return Fee$25.00
Credit Card Transaction Dishonored Fee$25.00
Diploma Fee$45.00
Freshman Orientation Fee$40.00
Housing Installment Plan Fee$33.00
Intent to Enroll$100.00
*Lab Fees$15.00 - $75.00
Late Payment Fee$25.00
Late Registration Processing Fee$25.00
Library Feevaries
Registration Installment Plan Fee$33.00
Replacement Campus ID Card$15.00
Parking Permit Replacement Fee$10.00
Transfer Orientation Fee$25.00

Credit Cards [top]

VISA and Master Charge bank credit cards may be used for payment of student fees.

Refund of Fees Including Nonresident Tuition [top]

Regulations governing the refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, for students enrolling at the California State University are included in Section 41802 of Title 5, California Code of Regulations. For purposes of the refund policy, mandatory fees are defined as those systemwide fees and campus fees that are required to be paid in order to enroll in state-supported academic programs at the California State University. Refunds of fees and tuition charges for self-support programs at the California State University (courses offered through extended education) are governed by a separate policy established by the University.

In order to receive a full refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, a student must cancel registration or drop all courses prior to the first day of instruction for the term. Information on procedures and deadlines for canceling registration and dropping classes is available in the Schedule of Classes.

For state-supported semesters, quarters, and non-standard terms or courses of four (4) weeks or more, a student who withdraws during the term in accordance with the university's established procedures will receive a refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, based on the portion of the term during which the student was enrolled. No student withdrawing after the 60 percent point in the term will be entitled to a refund of any mandatory fees or nonresident tuition.

For state-supported semesters, quarters, and non-standard terms or courses of less than four (4) weeks, no refunds of mandatory fees and nonresident tuition will be made unless a student cancels registration or drops all classes prior to the first day in accordance with the university's established procedures and deadlines.

Students will also receive a refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, under the following circumstances:

  • The tuition and mandatory fees were assessed or collected in error;
  • The course for which the tuition and mandatory fees were assessed or collected was cancelled by the university;
  • The university makes a delayed decision that the student was not eligible to enroll in the term for which mandatory fees were assessed and collected and the delayed decision was not due to incomplete or inaccurate information provided by the student; or
  • The student was activated for compulsory military service.

Students who are not entitled to a refund as described above may petition the university for a refund demonstrating exceptional circumstances and the chief financial officer of the university or designee may authorize a refund if he or she determines that the fees and tuition were not earned by the university.

Information concerning any aspect of the refund of fees may be obtained from the University Cashier.

Fees and Debts Owed to the Institution [top]

Should a student or former student fail to pay a fee or a debt owed to the institution, the institution may “withhold permission to register, to use facilities for which a fee is authorized to be charged, to receive services, materials, food or merchandise or any combination of the above from any person owing a debt” until the debt is paid (see Title 5, California Code of Regulations, Sections 42380 and 42381).

Prospective students who register for courses offered by the university are obligated for the payment of fees associated with registration for those courses. Failure to cancel registration in any course for an academic term prior to the first day of the academic term gives rise to an obligation to pay student fees including any tuition for the reservation of space in the course.

The institution may withhold permission to register or to receive official transcripts of grades or other services offered by the institution from anyone owing fees or another debt to the institution. If a person believes he or she does not owe all or part of an asserted unpaid obligation that person may contact the business office. The business office, or another office on campus to which the business office may refer the person, will review all pertinent information provided by the person and available to the campus and will advise the person of its conclusions.

Fee Waivers [top]

The California Education Code includes provisions for the waiver of mandatory systemwide fees as follows:

Section 68120 § Qualifying children and surviving spouses/registered domestic partners of deceased public law enforcement or fire suppression employees who were California residents and who were killed in the course of law enforcement or fire suppression duties (referred to as Alan Pattee Scholarships);

Section 66025.3 § Qualifying children, spouses/registered domestic partners, or unmarried surviving spouses/registered domestic partners of a war period veteran of the U.S. military who is totally service-connected disabled or who died as a result of service-related causes; children of any veteran of the U.S. military who has a service-connected disability, was killed in action, or died of a service-connected disability and meets specified income provisions; any dependents or surviving spouse/registered domestic partner who has not remarried of a member of the California National Guard who in the line of duty and in active service of the state was killed or became permanently disabled or died of a disability as a result of an event while in active service of the state; and undergraduate students who are the recipient of or the child of a recipient of a Congressional Medal of Honor and meet age and income restrictions; and

Section 68121 § Qualifying students enrolled in an undergraduate program who are the surviving dependent of any individual killed in the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City, the Pentagon building in Washington, D.C., or the crash of United Airlines Flight 93 in southwestern Pennsylvania, if the student meets the financial need requirements set forth in Section 69432.7 for the Cal Grant A Program and either the surviving dependent or the individual killed in the attacks was a resident of California on September 11, 2001.

Students who may qualify for these benefits should contact the Admissions/Registrar's Office for further information and/or an eligibility determination.

Determination of Residence for Nonresident Tuition Purposes [top]

The law governing residence for tuition purposes at the California State University is California Education Code sections 68000-68090, 68120-68134, and 89705-89707.5, and California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Subchapter 5, Article 4, sections 41900-41916. This material can be viewed on the Internet by accessing the California State University's website at

Each campus's Admissions Office is responsible for determining the residence status of all new and returning students based on the Application for Admission, Residency Questionnaire, Reclassification Request Form, and, as necessary, other evidence furnished by the student. A student who fails to submit adequate information to establish eligibility for resident classification will be classified as a nonresident.

Generally, establishing California residence for tuition purposes requires a combination of physical presence and intent to remain indefinitely. An adult who, at least one full year prior to the residence determination date for the term in which enrollment is contemplated, can demonstrate both physical presence in the state combined with evidence of intent to remain in California indefinitely may establish California residence for tuition purposes. A minor normally derives residence from the parent(s) they reside with or most recently resided with.

Evidence demonstrating intent may vary from case to case but will include, and is not limited to, the absence of residential ties to any other state, California voter registration and voting in California elections, maintaining California vehicle registration and driver's license, maintaining active California bank accounts, filing California income tax returns and listing a California address on federal tax returns, owning residential property or occupying or renting an apartment where permanent belongings are kept, maintaining active memberships in California professional or social organizations, and maintaining a permanent military address and home of record in California.

Adult noncitizens establish residence in the same manner as citizens, unless precluded by the Immigration and Nationality Act from establishing domicile in the United States. Unmarried minor noncitizens derive their residence in the same manner as unmarried minor citizens except that both parent and minor must have an immigration status consistent with establishing domicile in the United States.

Exceptions to the general residence requirements are contained in California Education Code sections 68070-68084 and California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Subchapter 5, Article 4, sections 41906-41906.5, and include, but are not limited to, members of the military and their dependents, certain credentialed employees of school districts and most students who have attended three years of high school in California and graduated or attained the equivalent. Whether an exception applies to a particular student cannot be determined before the submission of an application for admission and, as necessary, additional supporting documentation. Because neither campus nor Chancellor's Office staff may give advice on the application of these laws, applicants are strongly urged to review the material for themselves and consult with a legal advisor.

Nonresident students seeking reclassification are required to complete a supplemental questionnaire including questions concerning their financial dependence, which will be considered along with physical presence and intent in determining reclassification.

Residence determination dates are set each term. They are:
Fall September 20
Spring January 25

The residence determination dates for the four stages of CalStateTEACH are as follows:
Stage 1 September 20
Stage 2 January 5
Stage 3 June 1
Stage 4 September 20

Students classified as non-residents may appeal a final campus decision within 120 days of notification by the campus. A campus residence classification appeal must be in writing and submitted to:

The California State University
General Counsel's office
401 Golden Shore, 4th Floor
Long Beach, CA 90802-4210

The General Counsel's office can either decide the appeal or send the matter back to the campus for further review.

Students incorrectly classified as residents or incorrectly granted an exception from nonresident tuition are subject to reclassification as nonresidents and payment of nonresident tuition in arrears. If incorrect classification results from false or concealed facts, the student is subject to discipline pursuant to Section 41301 of Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations.

Resident students who become nonresidents or who no longer meet the criteria for an exception must immediately notify the Admissions Office.

Changes may have been made in the rate of nonresident tuition and in the statutes and regulations governing residence for tuition purposes in California between the time this information is published and the relevant residence determination date. Students are urged to review the statutes and regulations stated above.

Average Support Cost Per Full-Time Equivalent Student and Sources of Funds [top]

The total support cost per full-time equivalent student includes the expenditures for current operations, including payments made to students in the form of financial aid, and all fully reimbursed programs contained in state appropriations. The average support cost is determined by dividing the total cost by the number of full-time equivalent students (FTES). The total CSU 2005/06 final budget amounts were $2,615,120,000 from state General Fund appropriations (not including capital outlay funding), $1,003,659,000 from State University Fee Revenue, $393,418 from other fee revenues, and reimbursements for a total of $4,012,095,000. The number of projected 2005/06 full-time equivalent students (FTES) is 332,223. The number of full-time equivalent students is determined by dividing the total academic student load by 15 units per term (the figure used here to define a full-time student's academic load).

The 2005/06 average support cost per full-time equivalent student based on General Fund appropriation and State University Fee revenue only is $10,884 and when including all sources as indicated below is $12,077. Of this amount, the average student fee support per FTE is $3,021, which includes all fee revenue in the state higher education fund (e.g. State University Fee, nonresident tuition, application fees, miscellaneous course fees).

2004/05AmountAverage Cost per FTE Student%
Total Cost of Education$4,012,095,000$12,077100
State Appropriation2,615,120,0007,86565
Student Fee Support11,003,659,0003,02030

1Student fee support represents fee revenue deposited in the State Treasury/state higher education fund. The average CSU 2005/06 academic year, resident, undergraduate student fees required to apply to, enroll in, or attend the university is $3,164. However, the costs paid by individual students will vary depending on campus, program, and whether a student is part-time, full-time, resident, or nonresident.

Procedure for the Establishment or Abolishment of a Student Body Fee [top]

The law governing the California State University provides that fees defined as mandatory, such as a student body association fee and a student body center fee, may be established. A student body association fee must be established upon a favorable vote of two-thirds of the students voting in an election held for this purpose (Education Code, Section 89300). A student body center fee may be established only after a fee referendum is held which approves by a two-thirds favorable vote the establishment of the fee (Education Code, Section 89304). The student body fee was established at CSU Channel Islands by student referendum in 2003. The campus President may adjust the student body association fee only after the fee adjustment has been approved by a majority of students voting in a referendum established for that purpose (Education Code, Section 89300). The required fee shall be subject to referendum at any time upon the presentation of a petition to the campus President containing the signatures of 10 percent of the regularly enrolled students at the University. Once bonds are issued, authority to set and adjust student body center fees is governed by provisions of the State University Revenue Bond Act of 1947, including, but not limited to, Education Code, sections 90012, 90027, and 90068. Student body association fees support a variety of cultural and recreational programs, childcare centers, and special student support programs.

The process to establish and adjust other campus-based mandatory fees requires consideration by the campus fee advisory committee and a student referendum. The campus President may use alternate consultation mechanisms if he/she determines that a referendum is not the best mechanism to achieve appropriate and meaningful consultation. Results of the referendum and the fee committee review are advisory to the campus President. The President may also request the Chancellor to establish the mandatory fee.