Public Safety will be responsible for maintaining Department of Motor Vehicles “Driver Records Information,” issuing University motor pool vehicles and maintaining vehicle usage logs. Environment, Safety and Risk Management will be responsible for administration of Defensive Driver training, reporting and record retention for vehicle accidents, and administration of claims in coordination with State Attorney General’s Office. Operations Planning and Construction will be responsible for maintenance and repair, inspection and related records for University vehicles. Appropriate administrators will authorize the use of privately owned vehicles and shall ensure employees using vehicles on University business have read the Motor Vehicle Use Policy. Employees using vehicles on University business shall read the Motor Vehicle Use Policy. Administrators shall investigate and submit reports on any vehicle accident.


This policy applies to all persons who use motor vehicles on University business, including University owned, rental and privately owned vehicles.


University Business – University Business for the purpose of this policy is defined to mean “in the performance of, or necessary to, or in the course of the duties of university employment.”

University Vehicle – University vehicle is defined as a self-propelled motorized device for land transportation that exceeds two (2) horsepower and is owned, leased, or rented by the University. Vehicles owned, leased, or rented by auxiliary organizations are not covered by this policy.

University Employee – Those persons who have completed all prerequisites to CSU employment; this includes all CSU faculty, staff, and student assistants, and persons on volunteer status.

Volunteer – An individual who volunteers services to the CSU, has completed all prerequisites to CSU Memoranda, HR 2005-26, and/or has active volunteer status (Job class code 0050).

State Insurance – Refers to vehicle liability insurance administered by the State of California for all State vehicles, including University vehicles.


The University will issue vehicles and allow use of rental and personal vehicles to provide transportation for University employees on University business. The University intends to support the vehicular needs of campus programs in the most effective, efficient and safest way possible within the context of State regulatory and liability structure.

General Requirements/Limitations

Damage to University vehicles is the responsibility of the University if it is determined that the State driver is “at fault.” State insurance is designed to provide reimbursement to third parties only and does not cover University employees, their vehicles or University vehicles.

Non-State vehicles (rental or personal vehicles) must be insured by the rental company or an individual’s personal insurance.

Motorcycles may not be used for the conduct of University business except for police motorcycles as approved by the campus president.

Administrators shall ensure their employees are properly authorized for vehicle use prior to approving travel requests/expense claims involving use of vehicles on University business.

Eligibility to Drive Vehicles

on University Business

A driver must meet several criteria in order to drive a vehicle on University business:

  • The driver must have a valid driver’s license.
  • The driver must be a University employee.
  • The driver must complete Defensive Driver training every four years.
  • If driving a vehicle is a requirement of an employee’s job then the employee’s license and driving record will be checked – vehicle use will be contingent upon a safe driving record.
  • No one under 18 years of age may drive on University business.
  • Appropriate administrators will minimize driving by non-salaried (volunteer) drivers.

University Owned Vehicles

University vehicles shall only be used in the conduct of University business. Transporting any persons other than those directly involved in University business is prohibited unless permission has been obtained in advance for each trip by the employee’s supervisor. The University may not loan a University vehicle to an auxiliary organization.

Rental Vehicles

State insurance does not cover rental vehicles. The State has contracts in place with rental car companies that provide liability and repair coverage through the rental car company. Employees renting a vehicle for University business should use only rental companies currently under State contract.

If an employee rents a vehicle from a rental agency which is not on the state car rental contract, the employee’s personal automobile insurance policy will be the primary coverage for liability and damages in the event of an accident. Claims paid by private insurance for accidents to non-contracted rental vehicles while operated on university or state business are not reimbursable from CSU or state funds. Liability insurance purchased from non-contract rental agencies is not reimbursable from the university.

Privately Owned Vehicles

University employees may use privately owned vehicles on University business but must comply with the following rules:

The use must be within the employees’ scope of employment (University business only).

Authorization to use a privately owned vehicle is required. Authorization requires that the employee certify that private automobile liability insurance is in place, that the vehicle is adequate for the work to be performed, is equipped with safety belts and is in safe mechanical condition. The Authorization will be documented using the form STD 261, “Authorization to Use Privately Owned Vehicle.”

The owner’s private automobile insurance will be primary; State insurance provides liability coverage only after the owner’s liability coverage is exhausted, and provides no collision or comprehensive coverage. Claims paid by private insurance for accidents in privately owned vehicles while being operated on University business are not reimbursable from CSU or State funds.

Vehicle Accidents

Vehicle accidents must be reported immediately. Additional specific procedures must be followed immediately following an accident. Drivers involved in a vehicle accident must also complete a written report (STD Form 270) within 24 hours. The appropriate administrator must investigate the accident promptly and submit a written report (STD Form 274) to Risk Management within 48 hours.