If either traditional letter grading or credit/no credit grading is allowed for a course, a student may change the basis of his or her grading for the course from traditional letter grading to credit/no credit grading, or vice versa, through the third week of instruction without instructor approval by filing the appropriate form. Grade basis changes are permitted when the program area for the course and the student's major do not require a specific grading option for the course.