Where are you located?


What are your office hours?


How do I apply for financial aid?

To apply for financial aid, students are required to complete and submit a Free Application For Student Aid (FAFSA) to the Central Processor. Or you may file your FAFSA online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Once this form has been processed, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). Students should review the information on their SAR and keep it for their records.

Do I need to submit tax forms?

The Financial Aid office will send a document request letter (first-time freshman and new transfer) and continuing students will receive an email if you are required to submit your tax return(s). The federal government performs a random selection of applications in order to verify that the information submitted on the FAFSA is accurate. If your application was selected for this process, then you will be asked to submit your parents' and/or your federal tax return(s) along with a Verification Form.

What type of financial aid is available?

Federal Pell Grant, ACG, SMART, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, TEACH Grant, Federal Stafford Loan, Federal PLUS loan, State University Grant, Cal Grant, Institutional Scholarships

How do I apply for scholarships?

The University offers a variety of institutional scholarships based on merit and financial need. Scholarship applications are usually available in the Financial Aid office in November via our website: http://www.csuci.edu/financialaid/scholarships.htm.  The deadline for University scholarships is mid-February. By completing the CSU Channel Islands scholarship application, you will be applying for all of the university scholarships available. Students are encouraged to complete and submit a Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) to be eligible for the need-based university scholarships. Another source for scholarships is available online at http://www.fastweb.com/.

When will I receive my financial aid check?

If you are enrolled in the proper number of classes and all of the required documents are received in the Financial Aid office, you will be mailed your balance check during the first week of classes.

If I do not live with my parents, will I be considered an independent student?

NO. Whether you reside with your parents or not, the federal government has specific criteria to determine your dependency status. You will be considered an “independent” if you are: a) an undergraduate student and 24 years old; b) have dependents other than a spouse; or c) are a graduate student. There are, however, specific situations that can determine “independent” status for undergraduates younger than 24 years of age on an individual basis, which require special review and required documentation by a financial aid counselor.

How do I apply for a student loan? Is there a separate application?

When you apply for financial aid, you will automatically be considered for a student loan. CSUCI does not require a separate application. There are three types of loans programs offered at CSUCI: Federal Stafford loans, Grad PLUS loans, and Parent PLUS loans. Each of these loans offer different terms and interest rates.

What is required for a Parent Plus Loan?

Direct PLUS Loans are loans for parents of dependent students and for graduate/professional students. PLUS loans help pay for educational expenses up to the cost of attendance minus all other financial assistance. Interest is charged during all periods . If your parent plans to apply for a Parent Plus Loan, federal regulations require that the parent borrowing the loan complete a Master Promissory Note. This can be completed online at https://studentloans.gov. In order to qualify for the loan, the parent must have an acceptable credit history.  Parent borrowers have the option of completing their credit check online themselves or giving us authorization to have their credit check processed by the Department of Education.  This must be processed prior to the loan being applied to the student account. 

What is Federal Work Study and how do I apply?

The Federal Work Study (FWS) program provides funds for employing students who qualify for financial aid. If you qualify for FWS, application instructions will be included in your offer letter. FWS does not guarantee job placement to all who are offered participation in this program. FWS students work in a variety of jobs, both on and off campus, and are paid once a month. Students may not work more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session.

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?


What is CSU Channel Islands’ federal Title IV school code?

The federal school code for CSU Channel Islands is 039803.

What is Loan Entrance Counseling?

If you plan to borrow a student loan, federal regulations require that students complete  Loan Entrance Counseling at: https://studentloans.gov. The purpose of this counseling is to provide students with information about their Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans. Information will include details about student’s rights and responsibilities, repayment options, deferments, and the consequences of default. You will need your Federal Student Aid PIN (if you do not have a Federal Student Aid PIN, please visit the PIN site at www.pin.ed.gov) to complete the Loan Entrance Counseling.

What happens to my financial aid if I decide to withdraw from the University?

Students are required to notify the Financial Aid office before withdrawing from all classes. This must be done so that a student’s financial aid eligibility can be reevaluated. If you withdraw prior to the end of the semester, you will be expected to repay the funds which exceed those expenses required to cover your educational and related living expenses for that portion of the semester which you were enrolled. Any fee refunds due you from the campus will automatically revert to the financial aid account(s) from in which they were disbursed.

Revisions based on complete withdrawal will be made in accordance with Federal Title IV Return of Funds regulations. Title IV refunds and repayments are calculated on the basis of the period of enrollment for which the student was charged. The University determines whether any portion of refund will be returned to a Title IV program and whether a disbursement, made directly to the student, is entitled to a refund. For more information, download the document: "Treatment of Title IV Aid When a Student Withdraws",(PDF, 33KB)

What does it cost to attend CSU Channel Islands?


What is the financial aid deadline?

The priority filing deadline is March 2. The FAFSA must be postmarked by this date to receive priority consideration for funds.

What if my (and/or my parent's) income has been reduced since I filed the FAFSA?

Complete and submit an Income Adjustment Appeal Form to the Financial Aid office. With your appeal you must submit a copy of your (or your parents) final paycheck stub, documentation of unemployment benefits, and an estimate of earnings income for the remainder of the calendar year. An adjustment to your contribution will then be based on the projected  income (January 1 – December 31, current year) instead of income reported on the most current federal tax filing period.


How do I contact the Financial Aid office?

Address: CSU Channel Islands
Attn: Financial Aid Office
One University Drive
Camarillo, CA 93012-8599

Phone:805-437-8530, TDD 805-437-8510