Are you a New Student Employee?

You are required to sign new employee paperwork in the Human Resources office if:

  • You are a student that has never held a campus student or summer youth aid position on campus or
  • Your previous student employment at this campus ended more than three years ago, or
  • You previously/currently held/hold a University Glen/Auxiliary Student Assistant position and are now taking a campus student assistant position.


Complete New Hire paperwork:

Confirm with your department what classification you are being hired in to ensure you complete the appropriate packet.

Graduate Assistants, Teaching Associates and Summer Youth Aides please refer to the New Employee Check-in Process for Staff/Faculty page for the correct paperwork.

Complete the online I-9 form via Tracker link:

Federal law and CSU policies require that your Employment Eligibility Verification form (INS Form I-9) be completed no later than close of business on your first day of work. You should receive an email to your student email address (ending in prompting you to complete the first portion of the I-9 form online.

Complete the Child Abuse Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA) Acknowledgement (if applicable):

The Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA) is a California law requiring certain groups of employees to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect. Executive Order 1083 requires many employees, including some Student Assistants, to acknowledge their mandated reporter status.

You may receive an email to your student email address from HR (Laurie Nichols). The email will include a link to the mandated reporter acknowledgement form that must be signed electronically, confirming that you are aware of your legal reporting obligations. You cannot begin working until this electronic signature is obtained by HR.

Gather Identity Documents:

All new employees are required to demonstrate their identity and eligibility to work in the United States in accordance with the Immigration and Reform Control Act. Acceptable documents that establish identity and employment authorization can be found on the Form I-9 Acceptable Documents webpage. HR will not accept photo copies of any identity documents.

Gather Social Security Card:

It is required that your name and Social Security Number are reported exactly as stated on your Social Security Card to the Internal Revenue Service and California Franchise Tax Board. This satisfies California State payroll requirements. You will need to present an original, non-laminated Social Security Card.

Need a replacement Social Security card or need a Social Security number issued?

Please visit the Social Security Administration webpage for more information/resources.

DACA Student Information on Obtaining a Social Security Card (PDF, 67.7KB)

Review Policies and Important Notices:

It is recommended that you read the following University policies and notices:

New Hire Packet: Student Assistant

Please complete all forms linked below. Click the [ ? ] next to the title of the form for instructions/special information relating to each form.

New Hire Packet: Instructional Student Assistant

Please complete all forms linked below. Click the [ ? ] Next to Form Title for instructions/special information relating to each form.

Back to Top ↑