Table of Content

What are the basic rules regarding transferring credit to Channel Islands? [top]
CSU Channel Islands accepts transfer credit from regionally accredited colleges and universities. A maximum of 70 semester units earned at community colleges may be applied toward the baccalaureate degree, with the following limitations and stipulations:

  1. No upper-division credit may be allowed for courses taken at a community college
  2. No credit may be allowed for professional courses in education taken in a community college, other than introduction to education courses
  3. Students who transfer general education certification to Channel Islands are still required to complete at least 9 units of upper-division general education courses at Channel Islands
  4. All transferable units in the major will count toward computation of the overall major grade-point average
  5. Course equivalency for major requirements will be determined by course substitution if no agreement exists

Students are cautioned that the University is under no obligation to accept transferred courses for subject credit in addition to unit credit.

How can I find out how a course will transfer? [top]
Articulation agreements with the California Community Colleges, as well as selected CSU and UC campuses, may be found at ASSIST also provides CSU General Education and IGETC certification lists. When there is no articulation agreement between an institution and Channel Islands, students are given general Lower Division, Upper Division, or General Education area credit. CSU Channel Islands does not currently have any articulation agreements with out-of-state community colleges or universities. General Education credit may be applied as deemed appropriate following transfer credit evaluation.
Note: Specific course equivalencies may require consultation with individual program chairs or their designees.

How do courses transfer from a quarter system institution? [top]
Courses from an institution on the quarter calendar system will be converted to semester units. Channel Islands divides the quarter units by 1.5 to determine the semester unit credit.
For example, if you have earned 5.0 quarter units they will be converted to 3.33 semester units.

When will my transfer work be evaluated? [top]
An official transfer credit evaluation, showing which Channel Islands general education, graduation, and major/minor requirements have been fulfilled will be completed before or during the first semester of attendance. The results of your evaluation can be viewed by accessing your CI Academic Requirements Report (CARR) as well as checking your Transfer Credit Report.

What is the Transfer Credit Report? [top]
The Transfer Credit Report is an electronic evaluation that outlines which courses transferred from another college or university and the credit they were given at Channel Islands.

How can I view my Transfer Credit Report? [top]
If you are an undergraduate degree seeking student, you can view your Transfer Credit Report by following these steps:

  1. Log in to myCI
  2. Select CI Records and navigate to your Student Center
  3. Select “Transfer Credit Report” from the drop down menu

Note: You can also view the step by step How to View Your Transfer Credit Report guide.
How to View Your Transfer Credit Report (PDF, 263KB)

What does TRAN: LDT or TRAN: UDT mean? [top]
If you see a course has the equivalency of TRAN: LDT or TRAN: UDT in your Transfer Credit Report then this means that LDT or UDT is the credit it was given. TRAN indicates that this is a transfer course and the following suffix such as LDT or UDT indicates the level of the course. LDT means Lower Division Transfer, thus UDT means Upper Division Transfer.

What if I believe there is an adjustment needed in my Transfer Credit Report or CARR? [top]
If you believe there is an adjustment that should be made in your Transfer Credit Report or CARR then you can send an email to the Registrar's Office at requesting a review of your transfer credit.

Please include the following in your email:

  • Full Name (First, Last)
  • Nine-digit student ID number
  • Identify what you are seeing, and how you would like it to be updated
    • Include specific sections of the Transfer Credit Report or CARR
    • Include specific course prefix and number information (e.g. PSY 100)

Your request will be reviewed by an evaluator and you will receive a response to your student email account within two business days.


How is international credit treated? [top]
Students who have attended an international institution, and did not go through the CSU IP program, are required to have their foreign credits evaluated by an approved international evaluations company. The work has to be evaluated, regardless of how the credits are used in the major program, because all transferable classes impact the final GPA. The evaluation must include course-by-course credit, as well as indication of course level (lower vs. upper division).

A recommended evaluation service is the International Education Research Foundation (IERF)

Where can I view my Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), or College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) credit? [top]
California State University, Channel Islands grants specific credit to undergraduate students who pass examinations at a certain level. These include the Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) examinations. You can view your AP, IB or CLEP credit in your Transfer Credit Report. The Transfer Credit Report is accessible through your Student Center in CI Records.

CSU Channel Islands may be able to grant additional credit or advanced standing based upon examination results. Students who have successfully completed exams at the defined level may be granted credit for each exam toward graduation, class standing, and curriculum requirements.

Where can I view my Military credit? [top]
You can view any Military credit, such as credit for basic training or proficiency exams, in your Transfer Credit Report.

Additional information regarding credit for Military service can be found on the Academic Advising website:

Where can I direct questions about my transfer credit? [top]
If you have any questions in regards to your transfer credit and/or Transfer Credit Report please email the Registrar's Office at

What is SB 1440/Associate Degrees for Transfer? [top]

This law requires community colleges to grant an associate degree for transfer once a student has met specified general education and lower division major requirements for the degree. Upon completion of the associate degree for transfer, the student is eligible for transfer with junior standing into the California State University (CSU) system. Students are given guaranteed admission into the CSU system, and further are given priority consideration when applying to a particular program that is similar to the student’s community college major. The law prohibits the CSU from requiring a transfer student to repeat courses similar to those taken at the community college that counted toward their associate degree for transfer.

Transfer Model Curriculum (TMC) Information:

Back to Top ↑