In California, students subject to the Federal Military Selective Service Act (the Act) must first register with the Selective Service System in order to receive any need-based student grants funded by the state or public postsecondary institution. Selective Service registration forms are available at any U.S. Post Office, and many high schools have a staff member or teacher appointed as a Selective Service Registrar. Applicants for financial aid can also request that the information entered on their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) be used to register them with the Selective Service. Males born after December 31, 1959 may be required to submit a statement of compliance with the Act and regulations in order to receive any grant, loan, or work assistance under specified provisions of existing federal law. Information about registering with the Selective Service System can be found online at

Back to Top ↑