Back to FAQ

"I'm a guy – I want to be tested for sexually transmitted infections. Do you do that at Student Health Services?"

Student Health Services does offer testing for Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) for both women and men. People who are at highest risk of contracting a sexually transmitted infection include:

  • Persons who have had multiple sex partners
  • Men who have sex with men
  • Injection drug users and their sex partners
  • Persons who exchange sex for money or drugs
  • Persons who have sex while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • Persons who engage in sex--oral, anal or vaginal-- without using condoms

Men (and women) who are interested in screening usually elect to have a blood test looking for HIV and Syphilis, and a urine test for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea. Herpes and Genital Warts are best diagnosed by physical exam when there are symptoms present.

The more common symptoms of STI for men include pain with urination, penile discharge, and blisters, sores, bumps or other lesions in the genital area.

We encourage you to come in as soon as possible if you have any suspicious symptoms or are worried about potential exposure to any STI. Diagnosis is easier and treatment more effective when infections are detected early.

STI testing is covered under most insurance plans as well as by the Family PACT program.

Back to FAQ