The Student Health and Counseling Center (SHCC) offers full services for birth control, including pap smears, STD testing, counseling on and prescriptions for all contraceptive methods, and pregnancy testing. Most insurance plans will cover lab testing and prescriptions or you can apply for the Family PACT Program (see below).

Male students are welcome! We provide STD testing, birth control information and sample condoms. Prescriptions for larger quantities of condoms are available and are covered by the Family PACT program.

What is the Family PACT Program?

The Family PACT (Planning, Access, Care, and Treatment) Program is administered by the California Department of Health Services, Office of Family Planning. It provides family planning services at no cost to limited-income residents. Women and men are eligible if they reside in California, are at risk of becoming pregnant or causing pregnancy, have a gross family income at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level, and have no other source of health care coverage for family planning services. You may also qualify if you have insurance that covers these services but have concerns about confidentiality.

Services Available Under Family PACT:

  • Contraceptive methods and supplies
  • Pregnancy testing with counseling
  • Testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
  • HIV screening
  • Education and counseling for all birth control methods
  • Annual breast and pelvic exams and pap smears for women
  • Referrals for services not available at the Student Health and Counseling Center

What contraceptive methods does the program cover?

  • Oral contraceptives
  • Transdermal patch
  • Vaginal ring
  • Contraceptive injections
  • Condoms (male and female)
  • Spermicides
  • Intrauterine contraception
  • Fertility awareness methods
  • Emergency contraception*

*Information about emergency contraception is available at

More information on methods of contraception is available at the following Web sites:

How do I enroll in Family PACT?

When you come in for your appointment, we will give you a "Client Eligibility Certification" (CEC) form to fill out. If you qualify for the program—and most students do—we will enroll you and give you your Family PACT card, a process that takes just a few minutes. You may also download and complete the CEC form from the link below and bring it with you to the Student Health and Counseling Center.

For enrollment information or questions regarding this service, please contact us at 805-437-8828 or by email at

Question?Do you have questions? Ask the Doc.