Social, economic, and environmental sustainability are top priorities at CSU Channel Islands. Living sustainably means meeting the needs of the present without compromising the needs of the future. As a developing campus, CI has the rare opportunity to utilize some of the most current and innovative sustainability technology in advancing campus efficiency. There are numerous sustainability efforts currently in motion at CI, most of which originate in Department of Facilities Services (FS). Students have played a key role in many projects dealing with sustainability on campus. These projects can be viewed here.
CI Sustainability Project
FS has several over-arching sustainability goals.
Goal: Enhance Institutional Commitment to Sustainability
- Participate in STARS assessment every 2 years.
- Participate in APPA Sustainability assessment every year.
- Complete a Greenhouse Gas Inventory every 2 years.
- Update EnergyStar building survey for the Campus every 2 years.
- Collaborate with Academic Affairs and increase campus educational and engagement efforts.
Goal: Extend and Expand Sustainable Practices and Operations on the Campus
Our Strategies & Metrics:
- Design and construct new buildings and major renovations to LEED-Platinum and Cal-Green Tier II standards.
- Operate the campus at LEED EBOM – Platinum standards.
- Reduce electricity consumption by 15% within 5 years on KWH/GSF basis.
- Reduce water consumption (domestic and reclaimed water) by 10% within 5 years on gallon/FTE basis.
- Reduce waste generation by 10% within 5 years based on pounds/FTE basis.
- Increase recycle rate by 10% within 5 years.
- Create 5 additional California-native, drought-tolerant gardens within 5 years.
Help to make sustainability a campus-wide effort by utilizing the resources on this website.