Social, economic, and environmental sustainability are top priorities at CSU Channel Islands (CI). Living sustainably means meeting the needs of the present without compromising the needs of the future. As a developing campus, CI has the rare opportunity to grow in its own direction. We are given more flexibility to utilize some of the most current and innovative sustainability technology in advancing campus efficiency. There are numerous sustainability efforts currently in motion at CI, most of which originate in the Department of Facilities Services (FS) and students, staff, and faculty play key roles in many projects dealing with sustainability on campus.
Tree Campus USA
For the 4th year in a row, CSU Channel Islands has been awarded "Tree Campus USA Recognition". This means CI has met the 5 standards needed for the award. In order to achieve this, CI planted trees around campus and in the restoration site with the hard work of Facilities Services and students who volunteered. There is also a continuous plan to maintain the trees as well as plant more.
CI Sustainability Project
FS has several over-arching sustainability goals.
Goal: Enhance Institutional Commitment to Sustainability
- Participate in STARS assessment every 2 years.
- Participate in APPA Sustainability assessment every year.
- Complete a Greenhouse Gas Inventory every 2 years.
- Update EnergyStar building survey for the Campus every 2 years.
- Collaborate with Academic Affairs and increase campus educational and engagement efforts.
Goal: Extend and Expand Sustainable Practices and Operations on the Campus
Our Strategies & Metrics:
- Design and construct new buildings and major renovations to LEED-Platinum and Cal-Green Tier II standards.
- Operate the campus at LEED EBOM – Platinum standards.
- Reduce electricity consumption by 15% within 5 years on KWH/GSF basis.
- Reduce water consumption (domestic and reclaimed water) by 10% within 5 years on gallon/FTE basis.
- Reduce waste generation by 10% within 5 years based on pounds/FTE basis.
- Increase recycle rate by 10% within 5 years.
- Create 5 additional California-native, drought-tolerant gardens within 5 years.
Help to make sustainability a campus-wide effort by utilizing the resources on this website.