Project ACCESO Objectives
- Develop and implement best practices interventions for helping at-risk Hispanic and low-income students to succeed in gateway STEM classes. Reduce the gap in student success for these students 5% annually from the baseline levels.
- Develop and implement best practices interventions for retaining at-risk Hispanic and low-income students in STEM majors at CI. Increase their retention rate by 5% annually.
- Augment existing CI outreach programs for regional high schools and community colleges that will result in an increase of 10% over baseline numbers of Hispanic and low-income students reached by these existing programs with an emphasis on STEM disciplines.
- Enhance the STEM pipeline to increase the number of Hispanic and low-income students applying for admission to CI by 5% annually and the overall number of Hispanic and low-income students STEM majors at CI by 5% annually.
- Develop new STEM outreach programs to communicate information about STEM disciplines and careers at the P-14 level. Increase the number of P-14 students impacted by these STEM outreach efforts by 5% annually.
- Develop and implement best practices interventions for assisting Hispanic and low-income students in their development of critical STEM skill sets including: critical thinking, analytical reasoning, scientific literacy, and interdisciplinary communication. Increase the number of Hispanic and low-income students participating in research experiences in STEM majors at CI by 5% annually.