2016 Summer Institute Dates: June 1 - June 22, 2016
Application for the 2016 Summer Research Institute
Application Deadline 5 pm Friday, February 19, 2016
Project ACCESO Mission Statement:
Project ACCESO seeks to increase the number of underserved students (defined as Hispanic and low-income students) who are succeeding in and graduating from STEM majors at CI, to increase the number of underserved students interested in pursuing a bachelor's degree in STEM, and to assist underserved students in their development of critical STEM skill sets, e.g. critical thinking, analytical reasoning, scientific literacy, and interdisciplinary communication. The program encourages cultural diversity as represented in a diversity of worldviews, histories, and cultural knowledge across a range of social groups including race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, abilities, economic class, religion, and their intersections.
Application Evaluation Criteria:
Project ACCESO's mission statement has led to the below values that will form the basis for the evaluation of student applications. ALL students are encouraged to apply.
- First-generation college students will be given priority in research assistant placements
- Students who are B students will be given priority over students who have lower or higher GPAs.
- Students who have a personal statement that reflects a passion for science, imagination, enthusiasm, maturity, leadership, tenacity, and/or initiative.
- Students who have not previously participated in a paid research position will receive priority.
- Students who have had an educational barrier in their pursuit of higher education will be given priority. Examples of educational barriers include having been educated at an under-resourced high school (e.g. high drop-out rates, poor facilities, high poverty, low standardized test scores), having a language barrier at some point in their education, changing schools frequently, etc.
- Students who have had an economic barrier in their pursuit of higher education will be given priority. Examples of economic barriers include being a single parent, not receiving support from your family for college education, responsible for the income generated in a household with dependents, loss of financial aid eligibility, etc.
Evaluation Points (50 points total):
- Grade Point Average (0 - 10 points)
- Parental Education Level (0 - 10 points)
- Educational Barrier Short Essay (0 - 10 points)
- Economic Barrier Short Essay (0 - 10 points)
- Personal Statement (0 - 15 points)
- Prior Paid Research Experience (0 - 5 points)
What you will need to complete the application:
You will be asked to provide your contact information, your parents’ highest level of education, your gender, the language(s) you speak, the institution you attend and other information about your background and interests. Before you open the application, you should complete each of the tasks below.
- Write two short essay questions addressing any educational and economic barriers you have faced in your pursuit to higher education.
- Write a personal statement (750 to 1200 words) that provides evidence of a passion for science, imagination, enthusiasm, maturity, leadership, tenacity, and/or initiative. Applications that do not include a personal statement will not be reviewed.
- Create a list of all the math and science courses you will have completed by Spring 2015
- Obtain a scanned copy of your unofficial transcripts to forward or submit to the below address by 5 pm Friday, February 19, 2015
- Request a letter of recommendation from a faculty member to forward or submit to the below address by 5 pm Friday, February 19, 2015. On the application you will be asked to provide the recommender's name, campus name, campus email address, and campus phone number.
Download a PDF version of the application for review prior to on-line submission. Applications must be submitted through the application website.
For further information contact:
Carolina Mendez, Research Coordinator, Project ACCESO
Phil Hampton, Project Director, Project ACCESO
Mailing Address:Carolina Mendez
El Dorado Hall
One University Drive
CSU Channel Islands
Camarillo, CA 93012