Junior and Senior students with a CI GPA of 3.0 or above may be considered eligible for a Henry L. "Hank" Lacayo Internship. A minimum enrollment in 6-units is also required.
Benefits of an HLI Internship
- Paid internship experience
- An opportunity to apply classroom exercises in a real-life context
- Enhanced thinking, communication, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills
- Greater awareness of developing trends in the student's field of interest
- A chance to explore career choices in a professional setting
- Increased confidence, greater self-awareness and maturity
- A potential to develop a network of professional relationships
HLI Intern Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the HLI Internship, an intern will be able to:
- Demonstrate effective written and oral communication, critical thinking skills, and intellectual initiative.
- Integrate theory into practice in a real-world occupational setting based on the project or program to which the student is assigned.
- Acquire and demonstrate the norms of his/her internship site placement (workplace comportment, etc.).
- Clarify his/her professional goals at the conclusion of the internship. Demonstrate active engagement and intellectual initiative throughout the internship process.
What Past HLI Interns Have Said...
"The internship gave me the opportunity to figure out if I wanted to pursue a career in this industry. With each new opportunity I felt my confidence growing. This internship has set the bar high and I look forward to challenging myself everyday to be the best I can be. A great internship really was the essential piece of the puzzle that I needed to make the most out of my time at CSU Channel Islands" (Spring 12' HLI Intern, City of Westlake).
"It is a great opportunity to get hands-on experience in an atmosphere of the highest caliber of professionalism. Along with mentoring and bonus benefits of career support services and focus group learning sessions. It is an invaluable opportunity for those who are transitioning undergraduates preparing for professional careers" (Spring 12' HLI Intern, Ventura County Leadership Academy).
"One of the biggest skills I developed was networking. It was an amazing opportunity to make contacts with new and interesting people " (Spring 12' HLI Intern, County of Ventura).
How to Apply
Applicants have been selected for the fall 2015 cohort. We are accepting applications for the spring 2016 cohort. To be considered for the spring 2016, please complete the online application listed below.
- HLI Internship Program Online Application (Deadline November 13, 2015)
The online application submission must include the following:
- Student Employment Application (PDF)
- Letter of Recommendation (faculty/staff/administrator/employer). The letter should address:
- why the student is a strong candidate for the HLI Internship
- distinctive qualities that would predict a successful internship for the student/employer
- any additional information that would be helpful to the selection committee
- specific skills and strengths you have to offer in an employment setting, and any placement preference you have (for business, non-profit, or government employment
- career goals including short-term and longer-term
- how would you benefit from an internship with the HLI
How to Inquire About Academic Credit for an HLI Internship
When you obtain the HLI internship position description continue to the following steps:
- Contact the department chair of your academic discipline to identify a faculty sponsor/internship liaison
- Discuss the internship opportunity including the internship agreement with your sponsoring faculty.
- Complete and submit all required paperwork including an internship agreement with your sponsoring faculty and internship supervisor.
- Register for the internship course in your academic discipline to obtain the academic credit.
*Refer to the specific terms of agreement outlined in the internship contract to fulfill all internship requirements needed to earn academic credit*
|Semester||Projected Deadline to|
Submit Academic Credit
|Fall Semester||Prior to August 31|
|Spring Semester||Prior to January 15|
|Summer Term||Prior to May 1|