The Center for Community Engagement (CCE) hosts many workshops, meetings and events designed to gather stakeholders together for informational, networking, service and celebratory opportunities. The following events are the CCE's signature events. For more information, please contact Pilar Pacheco, Managing Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or 805.437.8851.
FALL 2016 EVENTS/WORKSHOPS
- New Community Partner Orientation: Friday, July 15, 2016 from 9:00AM-11:00AM in Ojai Hall 1986. A workshop for new community partners, designed to promote more productive campus-community partnerships. Please RSVP.
- Invitation to Service: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 from 9:00AM-11:00AM in Petit Salon. A beginning-of-the-year event with associated presentations to promote CCE services and informal networking. Please RSVP.
- Community Partner Roundtable: Thursday, October 13, 2016 from 9:00AM-11:00AM (Location TBD). This event is designed to give community partners the opportunity to meet, network, and discuss service-learning best practices and challenges. Please RSVP.
- Soup, Salad, and Service: Thursday, November 17, 2016 from 12:00PM - 1:15PM in the Provost's Conference Room. An informal luncheon for faculty held each semester to allow those interested in the pedagogy of service-learning and best practices to network and informally share successes and discuss issues or challenges. Please RSVP.
SPRING 2017 EVENTS/WORKSHOPS
- Learning Through Critical Reflection Workshop: Faculty workshop coming Spring 2017. More information to come.
- Community Partner Roundtable: Thursday, March 13, 2017 from 9:00AM-11:00AM (Location TBD). This event is designed to give community partners the opportunity to meet, network, and discuss service-learning best practices and challenges. Please RSVP.
- Celebration of Service: Thursday, May 4, 2017 in the Grand Salon. There will be a poster session from 11:00AM-12:00PM followed by an awards luncheon from 12:00PM-1:30PM. The CCE's annual end-of-the-year event to highlight community engagement projects and publicize best practices in a celebratory context, including campus community engagement awards and poster presentations. Please RSVP.
CO-CURRICULAR SERVICE-LEARNING EVENTS
Co-curricular service-learning events include any service activity not specifically associated with a class. The following CCE sponsored events are open to the campus community with dates given for the 2016-2017 academic year.
- Constitution Day: Friday, September 16, 2016. In remembrance of September 17, 1787, the day that delegates in Philadelphia signed the U.S. Constitution into Law, the CCE celebrates this historical event with various on-campus activities. More event information to come.
- Careers for the Public Good: Fall 2016. In collaboration with Career Development, this event provides students the opportunity to gather information from a variety of local non-profits interested in working with the CI community. Local non-profits will spend a day on the CI campus recruiting volunteers, interns, and employees.
- Hunger and Homelessness Week: November 14-18, 2016. National Hunger & Homelessness Awareness Week is held each year the week before Thanksgiving. This is a time for us all to consider what we are thankful for and a perfect time to share our compassion with our local neighbors who are experiencing homelessness and/or food insecurity. The CCE, in collaboration with the COMM 441 Health Communication course and B.A. Huggins Ministry will hold a Street Store event, which aims to provide clothing to low-income and homeless people – doing so in a dignified manner, while offering respect and kindness to this population.
- Farmworker Immersion Project: Spring 2017. The Farmworker Immersion Project (FIP) is a program that places students in the community to learn about farmworker rights and immigration issues. The FIP guides students through a first-hand experience of typical farm work life in Ventura County. We will visit a local berry farm where students will learn about the agricultural business in our county, then work for more than an hour in the field as the farm manager instructs on how to harvest berries. In the afternoon, we will travel to an affordable housing community to speak with farm worker families in their homes. Finally, we will come together for a group reflection.
- Club/Organization Mixers: Fall 2016 & Spring 2017 in Ojai Hall lobby. For Club/Organization officers, come learn more about how the Center for Community Engagement can be a volunteer resource for your club members. RSVP.
- Peace Corps Information Sessions: Fall 2016 & Spring 2017. Know what you are doing after graduation? Want to travel? Make a difference? The Center for Community Engagement invites you to an information session to learn more about the Peace Corps program. Peace Corps volunteers travel overseas to create positive change in communities. Open to all but geared toward students. Please RSVP.
SERVICE DAYS 2016-2017
Serve It Up is a yearlong program, developed in collaboration with the Division of Student Affairs, that provides the Channel Islands community with service opportunities throughout Ventura County. All participants will be provided with a T-shirt, lunch, transportation and a great experience.
- United Way Day of Caring: Saturday, September 17th, 2016. Each year, the CI community participates in United Way’s annual Day of Caring, an event which brings together CI students, staff and faculty, along with 1000’s of other volunteers to help nonprofit organizations in the community with a variety of tasks. Please RSVP.
- Veterans Day of Service: Friday, November 4, 2016. To honor those individuals who have served our country, we work together on a service project dedicated in their memory.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service: Friday, February 3, 2017. In honor of Martin Luther King Jr., join us for a day of service in the local community. Please RSVP.
- César Chávez Day of Service and Learning: Friday, April 7, 2017. To remember the work and life of César Chávez our final service day is spent in the community, as we come together and reflect on the impact of this great leader. Please RSVP.
These service days are open to students, staff & faculty. For more information about service days please contact Community Engagement Ambassador, Neil Olipani at email@example.com.