Events & Workshops
The Center for Community Engagement hosts many workshops, meetings, and events designed to gather stakeholders together for informational, networking, service and, celebratory opportunities. The following events are being offered in 2013-2014.For more information, please contact Pilar Pacheco, Associate Director at email@example.com
SPRING 2014 WORKSHOPS
- Critical Reflection in Service-Learning: Thursday, February 13 from 1:30-3:00 in El Dorado Hall, 140. This workshop will explore the concept of reflection and learn how to use various types of reflective activities to help students, in the class and at the partner site, meet learning and service objectives, and promote student development. Open to faculty and community partners.
- Community-Based Research (CBR): Wednesday, March 5 from 1:30-3:00, in El Dorado Hall, 140. Focuses on design and implementation of CBR projects that may be implemented in the context of servcie-learning courses. Open to faculty, community partners, and students.
- Service Learning on Santa Rosa Island: Wednesday, April 9 from 12:00PM – 1:30 (location TBE) - CI's Island Research Station was established in partnership with Channel Islands National Park. It provides a facility from which researchers and students can conduct important work and study from a wide range of disciplines, about the island's unique resources. The richness of Santa Rosa Islands provides many service learning opportunities in an assortment of disciplines. Bring your lunch and come meet Cause Hanna, Santa Rosa Research Station Manager and brainstorm ideas for incorporating Santa Rosa Island Service Learning projects into your course.
SPRING 2014 EVENTS/NETWORKING
- Community Partner Roundtable: Wednesday, February 26 from 8:30AM-10:30AM, location TBD. This event provide an opportunity for community partners to network and discuss service-learning successes, issues, and challenges. Open to community partners.
- Soup, Salad & Service: Wednesday, March 19 from 12:00-1:30 in Ojai Hall 1953. Come join us for an informal lunch event, held each semester to allow faculty interested in the service-learning pedagogy and best practices, to network and informally discuss issues and challenges. Open to faculty.
- Celebration of Service: Wednesday, May 7 from 11:00AM-2:00PM in Petit Salon. This year, in addition to the awards luncheon and networking with community partners, the event will feature a poster session (11:00AM-12:00PM), highlighting several service learning projects/research. The Celebration of Service brings the community together to acknowledge the growth and impact these projects/research contribute to our students and the community. Please RSVP at: http://go.csuci.edu/cce
SPRING 2014 SERVICE DAYS
These service days are open to the students, staff & faculty. For more information about service days please contact, Kaitlyn Cotton at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service: Friday, January 24th: Multicultural Programs, the Centers for Community and Multicultural Engagement, and Operations, Planning and Construction invite students, faculty, staff, and alumni to celebrate the memory of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. by serving on Friday, January 24, 2014 from 8:00am-1:00pm. For more information please visit:https://volunteercce.wufoo.com/forms/dr-martin-luther-king-jr-day-of-service/. For questions, please contact Jennifer Chapman, Coordinator, Multicultural Programs at Jennifer.email@example.com or Kaitlyn Cotton, Community Engagement Ambassador at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cesar Chavez Day of Service: Farmworker Immersion Project
To honor the life and work of César E. Chávez, the Center for Community Engagement, in collaboration with Ventura County Clergy Laity for a United Economy, will be hosting the Farmworker Immersion Project on Saturday, April 12, 2014 from 8am – 2pm.The Farmworker Immersion Project will guide students through a firsthand experience of typical farm work life in Ventura County. We will speak with farmworkers and their families at their homes, and then visit a local berry farm to harvest berries and learn about the local agricultural business. A mandatory orientation must be attended for participation in the Farmworker Immersion Project. Orientation dates are Tuesday, April 8th from 3-5PM in Broome Library, 1756 OR Wednesday, April 9 from 3-5PM in Broome Library, 1756.
Attendance is free: RSVP at https://csuci.wufoo.com/forms/s37oq2b1gfh3cv/
- E-Waste Day
To celebrate Earth Day, the Center for Community Engagement will be partnering with G & C technologies to provide free e-waste recycling services to CI and the local community on Saturday, April 26th from 9am-2pm in the A3 parking lot at CSU Channel Islands. Anything that plugs into an electric socket will be taken! (i.e. blow dryers, toasters, computers...). It's quick and easy, just drive by and drop-off your e-waste!