The Center for Community Engagement (CCE) hosts many workshops, meetings and events designed to gather stakeholders together for informational, networking, service and celebratory opportunities. The following events are the CCE's signature events. For more information, please contact Pilar Pacheco, Managing Director at email@example.com or 805.437.8851.
FALL 2015 WORKSHOPS/MEETINGS
- New Community Partner Orientation: Friday, August 21, 2015 from 9:00AM-11:00AM in Broome Library 1756. A workshop for new partners, designed to promote more productive campus-community partnerships. Please RSVP here.
- Invitation to Service: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 from 9:00AM-11:00AM in Petit Salon. A beginning-of-the-year event with associated presentations to promote CCE services and informal networking. Please RSVP here.
- Community Partner Roundtable: Thursday, October 15, 2015 from 9:00AM-11:00AM, FOOD Share. The Roundtable is designed to give community partners the opportunity to meet, network, and discuss best practices and challenges. Open to community partners. Please RSVP here.
- Peace Corps Information Session: Come learn more about serving in the Peace Corps. Open to all but geared toward students (date TBD).
- Soup, Salad & Service: Wednesday, December 3, 2015 from 12:00PM - 1:15PM in the Provost's Conference Room. An informal luncheon held each semester to allow all stakeholders, interested in the pedagogy of service-learning and best practices, to network and informally share successes and discuss issues and challenges. Please RSVP here.
SPRING 2016 EVENTS/NETWORKING
- CELEBRATION OF SERVICE: Thursday, May 5, 2016 from 11:00AM-1:30PM in the Grand Salon. The CCE's annual end-of-the-year event to highlight community engagement projects and publicize best practices in a celebratory context, including campus community engagement awards and poster presentations. Please RSVP here.
CO-CURRICULAR SERVICE-LEARNING EVENTS
Co-curricular service-learning events include any service activity not specifically associated with a class. The following CCE sponsored events are open to the campus community with dates given for the 2015-2016 academic year.
- Constitution Day: Thursday, September 17, 2015. In remembrance of September 17, 1787, the day that delegates in Philadelphia signed the U.S. Constitution into Law, the CCE celebrates this historical event with various on-campus activities. More event information to come.
- Careers for the Public Good: Wednesday, October 7 from 10am-2pm in the Central Mall. In collaboration with Career Development, this event provides students the opportunity to gather information from a variety of local non-profits interested in working with the CI community. Local non-profits will spend a day on the CI campus recruiting volunteers, interns, and employees.
- Hunger and Homelessness Week: November 16-20, 2015. National Hunger & Homelessness Awareness Week is held each year the week before Thanksgiving. This is a time for us all to consider what we are thankful for and a perfect time to share our compassion with our local neighbors who are experiencing homelessness and/or food insecurity. The CCE, in collaboration with the COMM 441 Health Communication course and B.A. Huggins Ministry will hold a Street Store event, which aims to provide clothing to low-income and homeless people – doing so in a dignified manner, while offering respect and kindness to this population.
SERVICE DAYS 2015-2016
Serve It Up is a yearlong program, developed in collaboration with the Division of Student Affairs, that provides the Channel Islands community with service opportunities throughout Ventura County. All participants will be provided with a T-shirt, lunch, transportation and a great experience.
For the 2015-2016 academic year, CI has "adopted" the non-profit organization, Prototypes, and made a commitment to focus all services days throughout the year on this one organization. Prototypes Women's Center is a 6 to 12 month residential treatment program for women in recovery and their children.
Join us in service as we work alongside the residents – helping makeover their grounds and other projects.
- United Way Day of Caring: Saturday, October 3, 2015. Each year, the CI community participates in United Way’s annual Day of Caring, an event which brings together CI students, staff and faculty, along with 1000’s of other volunteers to help nonprofit organizations in the community with a variety of tasks. Please RSVP here.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service: Friday, January 29, 2016. In honor of Martin Luther King Jr., join us for a day of service in the local community. Please RSVP here.
- César Chávez Day of Service and Learning: Friday, April 8, 2016. To remember the work and life of César Chávez our final service day is spent in the community, as we come together and reflect on the impact of this great leader. Please RSVP here.
These service days are open to students, staff & faculty. For more information about service days please contact, Neil Olipani, Community Engagement Ambassador at 805.437.3619 or firstname.lastname@example.org.