The Center for Community Engagement (CCE) hosts many workshops, meetings and events designed to gather stakeholders together for informational, networking, service and celebratory opportunities. The following events are the CCE's signature events. For more information, please contact Pilar Pacheco, Managing Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or 805.437.8851.
FALL 2016 EVENTS/WORKSHOPS
- New Community Partner Orientation: Friday, July 15, 2016 from 9:00AM-11:00AM in Ojai Hall 1986. A workshop for new community partners, designed to promote more productive campus-community partnerships. Please RSVP.
- Invitation to Service: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 from 9:00AM-11:00AM in Petit Salon. A beginning-of-the-year event with associated presentations to promote CCE services and informal networking. Please RSVP.
SPRING 2017 EVENTS/WORKSHOPS
- Soup, Salad, and Service: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 from 12:00PM - 1:30PM, Location TBD. An informal luncheon for faculty held each semester to allow those interested in the pedagogy of service-learning and best practices to network and informally share successes and discuss issues or challenges. Please RSVP.
- Celebration of Service: Thursday, May 4, 2017 in the Grand Salon. There will be a poster session from 11:00AM-12:00PM followed by an awards luncheon from 12:00PM-1:30PM. The CCE's annual end-of-the-year event to highlight community engagement projects and publicize best practices in a celebratory context, including campus community engagement awards and poster presentations. Please RSVP.
CO-CURRICULAR SERVICE-LEARNING EVENTS
Co-curricular service-learning events include any service activity not specifically associated with a class. The following CCE sponsored events are open to the campus community with dates given for the 2016-2017 academic year.
- Constitution Day: Friday, September 16, 2016. In remembrance of September 17, 1787, the day that delegates in Philadelphia signed the U.S. Constitution into Law, the CCE celebrates this historical event with various on-campus activities.
- Hunger and Homelessness Week: November 13-19, 2016. National Hunger & Homelessness Awareness Week is held each year the week before Thanksgiving. This is a time for us all to consider what we are thankful for and a perfect time to share our compassion with our local neighbors who are experiencing homelessness and/or food insecurity. The CCE, in collaboration with the Nursing Program and B.A. Huggins Ministry will hold a Street Store event on Saturday, Nov. 19th which aims to provide clothing to low-income and homeless people – doing so in a dignified manner, while offering respect and kindness to this population.
- Farmworker Immersion Project: Spring 2017. The Farmworker Immersion Project (FIP) is a program that places students in the community to learn about farmworker rights and immigration issues. The FIP guides students through a first-hand experience of typical farm work life in Ventura County. We will visit a local berry farm where students will learn about the agricultural business in our county, then work for more than an hour in the field as the farm manager instructs on how to harvest berries. In the afternoon, we will travel to an affordable housing community to speak with farm worker families in their homes. Finally, we will come together for a group reflection.
- Club/Organization Mixers: Fall 2016 & Spring 2017 in Ojai Hall lobby. For Club/Organization officers, come learn more about how the Center for Community Engagement can be a volunteer resource for your club members. RSVP.
- Peace Corps Information Sessions: Tuesday, Oct. 11 from 12:30 – 1:30 p.m. at Ojai Hall 1986. Join a returned Peace Corps volunteer and your Peace Corps Campus Ambassador to learn about the toughest job you’ll ever love. Come visit and learn about the work of volunteers worldwide, tips on applying, and have any questions answered. Learn about the Peace Corps’ graduate programs, career advantages, and how you can make a difference. RSVP if you plan to attend. View the flyer for full details (PDF, 289KB). For more information contact Fances Klingenberger, Peace Corps Ambassador, at 805-437-2608 or email@example.com.
SERVICE DAYS 2016-2017
Serve It Up is a yearlong program, developed in collaboration with the Center for Community Engagement, Intercultural Services, Student Leadership and Veteran's Services. Serve It Up provides the Channel Islands community with day-long volunteer opportunities throughout Ventura County. All participants will be provided with a Serve It Up T-shirt and water bottle, lunch, transportation and a great experience.
- United Way Day of Caring: Saturday, September 17th, 2016 at the Boys and Girls Club of Camarillo. Each year, the CI community participates in United Way’s annual Day of Caring, an event which brings together CI students, staff and faculty, along with 1000’s of other volunteers to help nonprofit organizations in the community with a variety of tasks. Please RSVP.
- Veterans Day of Service: Friday, November 4, 2016 from 8:00am-1:30pm at The Abundant Table. Join us to honor those individuals who have served our country by working together on a service project dedicated in their memory. Volunteers will learn about the local farming community by actively planting, weeding, and harvesting seasonal vegetables with farmers in the field. At the end of the volunteer session, we will reflect on the experience. CI students, staff and faculty will be taken by Roadrunner Shuttle to the service site. Participants will meet at the Peace Pole, located in between Sierra Hall and the Student Union Building in Central Mall (by the water fountain). Please RSVP.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service: Friday, February 3, 2017 from 1:30-5:30pm at FOOD Share. In honor of Martin Luther King Jr., we will learn about food insecurity and how this issue is addressed through the work of FOOD Share. CI students, staff and faculty will be taken by Roadrunner Shuttle to the service site. Participants will meet at the Peace Pole, located in between Sierra Hall and the Student Union Building in Central Mall (by the water fountain). Please RSVP.
- César Chávez Day of Service and Learning: Friday, April 7, 2017. To remember the work and life of César Chávez our final service day is spent in the community, as we come together and reflect on the impact of this great leader. Please RSVP.
These service days are open to students, staff & faculty. For more information about service days please contact Community Engagement Ambassador, Alexis Marquez at firstname.lastname@example.org.