California State University Channel Islands (CI) is committed to becoming a more environmentally sustainable campus. CI identifies sustainability as one of the strategic goals for the campus. The institution seeks to reduce the impact of its operations by responsibly managing its facilities and resources. New and innovative sustainability efforts are underway across campus, actively involving students, faculty, staff, and community partners.
About the Task Force
The Sustainability Task Force at CI has been working for several years to advance sustainability initiatives across the campus. Members of the the Task Force are appointed to represent different areas of the campus. However, all interested members of the CI community are welcome to participate in sustainability projects. The work of the Task force focuses on five primary areas of sustainability:
- Building Design
- Environmental Education
- Recycling Awareness
- Strategic Energy Management
With the help of the campus community, Task Force members initiate projects and introduce initiatives relevant to these areas of emphases.
News & Events Links/Feeds
- To learn more about what Sustainable CI is doing at Facilities Services, click on the link on the right channel bar titled "FS Sustainability"
- CI rewarded with rebate for Turf Removal
- CI receives Tree Campus USA again!
- To learn more about what Sustainable CI is doing at Academic Affairs Around Campus, click on the link on the right channel bar titled "News & Events"
- 2016 Earth Day Extravaganza & Social Lifestyles Raffle
- 2015-2016 IRA & MSFT Funded Sustainability Projects
- CI in Sierra Magazine's Cool Schools
- CI receives STARS GOLD RATING!
- CAMPUS SUSTAINABILITY MAP
- GHG Report (PDF)
- Sustainability Task Force Sustainability Progress Report (in PDF format) (to view, download Adobe Reader)
- SERVICE LEARNING - Students who need to complete service learning credits should consider one with a sustainability element
Executive Order No. 987 outlines energy and sustainability requirements for the CSU. The Executive Order provides a Policy Statement on Energy Conservation, Sustainable Building Practices, and Physical Plant Management for the California State University. It was originally adopted in 1978, and most recently updated in 2006.