Current Events on Campus ...
Thanks to the efforts of Facilities Services and Academic Affairs, our sustainability initiatives for this academic year are underway. Last academic year we began our waste management efforts through new receptacles and clear labeling. Our first water filter stations were installed with more installations expected to complete in additional campus buildings. To further our sustainability goals, GreenScreens have been installed in several areas, and like the water stations, plans for more GreenScreen installations are forthcoming. The first green roof was installed in Spring 2013. Our rain barrel program is progressing as well as our composting efforts.
Water stations continue to be installed in remaining areas. Additional projects include installations and/or upgrades of campus toilets, lighting suveys, and solar panels for the propagation house behind Modoc. Another group is working to deploy Brita Pitchers to the campus dorms.
Additionally, a group of students attended This Way to Sustainability Conference IX at Chico and provided a presentation of what they learned to the GGC. The knowledge they brought back from the workshops and sessions will benefit the campus community. A couple of the Chico attendees visited a local vendor, The Worm Farm
to take a hands-on look at vermicomposting.
Finally, for 2014 graduates, please consider donating your cap and gown to help future CI grads who have financial limitations. Donation bins will be setup in the South Quad. Avoid waste and help our fellow dolphins!
Sustainability Conferences ...
- 2014 AASHE, Oregon Convention Center, Portland, Oregon, October 26-29
- 2014 The California Higher Education Sustainability Conference, SDSU, June 16-20
- 2013 This Way to Sustainability Conference IX, Cal State Chico, March 6-8
- 2013 AASHE, Music City Center, Nashville, Tennessee, October 6-9
Farmer's Markets in/around Ventura County:
Camarillo | Sat | 8:00am - 12:00pm | Old Town Camarillo
Oxnard | Thu | 9:00am - 1:00pm | Downtown
Oxnard | Sun | 10:00am - 2:00pm | Channel Islands Harbor
Santa Clarita | Sun | 8:30am - 12:00pm | College of the Canyons
Simi Valley | Fri | 11:00am - 3:30pm | Civic Center Plaza
Simi Valley | Fri | 4:00pm - 8:00pm | Simi Valley Towne Center
Thousand Oaks | Thu | 1:30pm - 6:00pm | Oaks Shopping Center
Ventura | Sat | 8:30am – 12:00pm | Downtown
Ventura | Wed | 9:00am – 1:00pm | Midtown
Think Green and ...
- Earth911 - "More Ideas, Less Waste"
- Tapped - How bottled water affects our health, climate, and promotes the oil industry.
Attachments & Viewing
The MSFT webpages contain file attachments which may require a download of the following application(s):
- To view Microsoft Word (.doc) and/or Microsoft Excel (.xls or .xlsx) please download and install Microsoft Office
- To view Adobe Acrobat PDF, please download and install Adobe Acrobat Reader