Terms of Service for Use of Google Apps for Education
This document describes the University's terms of service for the use of Google Apps for Education service. CSU Channel Islands provides email services to students and alumni in support the educational and administrative activities of the University, and to serve as a means of official communication by and between students, alumni and CSU Channel Islands. Students and alumni will now have their Dolphin Email accounts remotely hosted by Google. The purpose of these terms of service is to make the University community aware of certain obligations when utilizing the Google Apps for Education service. Section 3.0 below will also be presented for review upon creating a Google-hosted account. This document was developed to ensure that this service remains available and reliable, and is used for purposes appropriate to the University's mission.
These terms of service applies to all members of the University community who utilize the Google Apps for Education service.
3.0 Terms of Service
In order to use Google's services as provided to CSU Channel Islands, all participants must be aware of the following:
- When utilizing Google Apps for Education services, you are bound by the CSU Channel Islands Responsible Use Policy, found at http://policy.csuci.edu/IT/01/it-01-002.htm.
- Anyone in the University community utilizing Google Apps for Education services must agree and adhere to the Google Terms of Service that will be presented for review when creating your account.
- Anyone in the University community utilizing Google Apps for Education services must be aware that their data may be stored in datacenters outside the borders of the United States.
- As stated in the University Responsible Use Policy, anyone in the University community utilizing Google Apps for Education services acknowledges that CSU Channel Islands has the ability to monitor, use, or disclose their data, and that Google provides CSU Channel Islands the ability to do so. Any access of information stored on your account will follow the standards established in the current University practice for emergency access.
- Anyone in the University community utilizing Google Apps for Education services will be supported through the Technology & Innovation (T&I) Help Desk.
- Anyone in the University community utilizing Google Apps for Education services must acknowledge that Google can terminate their account if they fail to abide by the Google Terms of Service.
4.0 Of Special Note in the Google Terms of Service
Anyone in the University community utilizing Google’ Apps for Education services are made aware of the Google Acceptable Use Policy (http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/admins/use_policy.html) that states that you agree not to use the Google services provided to you:
- to generate or facilitate unsolicited bulk commercial email;
- to violate, or encourage the violation of, the legal rights of others;
- for any unlawful, invasive, infringing, defamatory, or fraudulent purpose;
- to intentionally distribute viruses, worms, Trojan horses, corrupted files, hoaxes, or other items of a destructive or deceptive nature;
- to interfere with the use of the Services, or the equipment used to provide the Services, by customers, authorized resellers, or other authorized users;
- to alter, disable, interfere with or circumvent any aspect of the Services;
- to test or reverse-engineer the Services in order to find limitations, vulnerabilities or evade filtering capabilities;
- to use the Services, or a component of the Services, in a manner not authorized by Google
5.0 Changes to these Terms of Service
CSU Channel Islands reserves the right to change these Terms of Service at any time. The University will post the most up-to-date version of the Terms of Service on its web site and may, in its discretion, provide users with additional notice of significant changes. A user's continued use of the service after any changes are published binds the user to the revised Terms of Service.