The Reading Institute for Academic Preparation (RIAP)
The RIAP program is collaboratively sponsored by the California State University system. Channel Islands is excited to be part of a state-wide collaborative consisting of 16 other CSUs. Each Institute follows a similar format. All workshops are conducted by teachers for teachers using research-based strategies for the teaching of reading and writing in all content areas. Each participant receives at least 5 new books on vocabulary development, comprehension strategies, content area literacy, adolescent literacy, and more. Commitment is for a total of 80 hours which includes workshops, independent study, team work and a case study of a student in your class. Honoraria of $750.00 is disbursed at the conclusion of all institute activities. (See Honoraria)
The reading institute participants will work together to prepare high school students to:
- Achieve at a level on the joint California Standards Test and CSU Early Assessment Program that would exempt the student from English Placement Test
- Demonstrate proficiency on the CSU English Placement Test (EPT) by scoring above 150 with no need for future reading and writing remediation.
Reading institutes will support university/school teams to:
- Implement research-based diagnostic assessment and instructional practices
- Improve the reading and writing of students in grades eleven and twelve
- Focus on reading informational and narrative text and analytical writing
- Utilize the assignment template and course modules designed for the 12th Grade Expository Reading and Writing Course and
- Provide leadership for the Early Assessment Program at school sites and districts.
Institute participants will:
- Understand and implement standards-based approaches to improve academic literacy
- Use case studies and other forms of assessment to monitor student improvement in critical reading and writing skills
- Expand their repertoire of teaching strategies to match the academic learning strengths and needs of college-eligible students and
- Collaborate with school teams/colleagues to plan and implement effective assessment and instructional strategies, including the use of the assignment template and course modules designed for the 12th Grade Expository Reading and Writing Course.