Minutes of June 12, 2019 meeting

1) Attendees:

EHS (Director):    Peer Gerber
EHS (Environmental Compliance and Hazardous Materials Manager):    Jennifer Lindquist
EHS (Chemical Hygiene Officer & Laboratory Safety Specialist):    Derick Jaramillo
EHS (Safety Specialist):    Derick Nguyen
Facilities Services (Director, Facility Support):    Raudel Banuelos
Facilities Services (Electrical Shop):    Theresa Kocis
Environmental Science and Resource Management:    Emily Welsh
Biotechnology:    Melissa McCoy
Biology:    Michael Mahoney
Art:    Kenji Webb
Art:    Ivan Grooms
Police Department:    Christopher Jetton
Physics:    Timo Schulze
Computer Science:    Ricky Medrano
Division of Student Affairs (Staff Resources Specialist):    Courtney Ellis

  1. Introductions- Peer Gerber welcomed everyone, introduced himself and asked everyone to briefly introduce themselves

  2. Review and approve minutes from March 13, 2019 meeting- The minutes from the March 13 2019 meeting were briefly reviewed. Peer Gerber made a motion to approve the minutes, which was seconded by Chris Jetton. There was a unanimous decision to approve these minutes.

  3. Unfinished Business

    1. Sea Lions at the CIBC- During the 19 September meeting, Joshua Wade reported that the Channel Islands Harbor master approved a Facilities Services-funded construction project to install fencing along the dock with non-penetrating post brackets that will be installed over the dock cleats. Materials have been ordered. No update was given during this meeting. Peer will contact Facilities Services for an update and he will relay the information to Joshua Wade.

    2. Catherine Hutchinson mentioned that she received a last-minute request from Guy Spevak for a cost estimate to install earthquake-resistant shelving for the Biology dept laboratory items utilizing available FEMA funds. Catherine informed Peer that more time is needed in order to properly determine the department’s needs. Peer informed the Committee that this item has been removed from the list of FEMA grant projects and is currently on hold pending alternate funding availability. Derick Jaramillo will obtain a quote from Quick Hold and Raudel Banuelos will contact the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to see if earthquake straps for shelves are available.

  4. New Business

    1. Michael Mahoney mentioned that a delivery truck could not access a MODOC trailer to deliver gas cylinders last July because of restricted access due to the annual Dog Show. Chris Jetton mentioned that an access path to MODOC was created last year for emergency vehicles. Peer informed Michael that the Biology dept should inform EHS if it is expecting a hazardous materials delivery during this year’s dog show, which is scheduled to start on July 02. At that point, Peer will inform Events & Conferences.

    2. Derick Jaramillo informed the Committee that all laboratory student assistants and registered volunteers must either complete the online Laboratory Fundamentals course, available on the SumTotal training platform, or an online NIH lab safety course for those students who cannot access SumTotal. These paid students or volunteers must also complete an in-person Chemical Hygiene Plan training session conducted by Derick. Only paid student assistants are required to attend in-person Chemical Hygiene Plan training. They are considered employees; therefore, they MUST complete all training requirements mandated by OSHA. In-person Chemical Hygiene Plan training is available for all students engaged in laboratory activities (i.e. volunteers and 400 level research students). It is NOT required but can serve as a supplement to the required Laboratory Safety Fundamentals/NIH courses.

    3. Melissa McCoy asked Derick whether students who receive a research grant stipend are considered to be student assistants or students. Peer informed Melissa that he will contact Kim Sones and that he will keep Melissa updated.

    4. Chris Jetton informed the Committee that rotating parking lot closures will take place starting in July due to pavement patching and re-striping.

    5. Ricky Medrano informed Peer that a student assistant was observed driving an electric cart at an excessive speed in front of Madera Hall. Chris Jetton informed Ricky that all cart drivers must complete a Defensive Driver course every five years and must follow all motor vehicle code rules. Peer mentioned that all cart drivers must also complete an online cart safety course available on SumTotal.

    6. Derick Nguyen informed the Committee that he has completed a survey of slip/trip/fall hazards around the campus and that he will submit work orders to Facilities Services in order to eliminate these hazard.

    7. Derick Nguyen informed the Committee that a Heat Illness Prevention course is available online on SumTotal. Peer mentioned that all employees, student assistants and volunteers who work predominantly outdoor need to complete this course annually.

    8. Derick Nguyen informed the Committee that we are considered to be a bee campus and that people who are allergic to bees should carry epinephrine pens. Chris Jetton mentioned that campus police officers are trained EMT’s and that they carry epinephrine pens, as well as Narcan for opioid overdoses.

    9. Peer informed the Committee that Camp Kramer, which is an organization designed to help Jewish youth develop personal identity and self-esteem, has almost finished setting up their camp in the Lindero Hall courtyard, the open area south of Trinity Hall (east side of Santa Rosa Village), and a two story rope structure in Potrero field. These areas are off-limits to University faculty, staff and students unless pre-approved by Camp Kramer management and the University. Chris Jetton mentioned that the Lindero Hall courtyard and the open area south of Trinity Hall are called “the Zone”. Camp Kramer will officially start on Wednesday June 19.

  5. Reports and Miscellaneous Information

    1. Follow up items
      All open items from the previous Committee have been closed.

    2. Injury Report
      Normal processes for prevention and response to accidents and injuries are in place and functioning well.

The following is an injury summary report for the Committee’s review:

Injury Report: 03/13/2019 – 06/12/2019

Injury Reports
TypeDepartmentInjury Description
EmployeeHousingSlip, fall
StudentChemistrySmall chemical burn
StudentChemistrySmall chemical burn
StudentN/AFall, Skateboard
StudentN/ASlip, fall
StudentN/ASlip, fall
StudentSanta Rosa IslandTick bite
StudentBiologySmall cut

The student injuries occurred in various locations for various reasons. Four student injuries occurred because of a fall and two ankle injuries because of a slip or trip. Two other student injuries occurred in the Chemistry department because of a minor hand burn. Regarding employee injuries, normal processes for prevention and response to accidents and injuries are in place and functioning. Three employee injuries occurred within the Facilities Services department (two in Custodial Services, one in Engineering Shop)

Next Meeting
The next meeting will be scheduled during Fall, 2019.

Back to Top ↑