CI Mission Statement
Placing students at the center of the educational experience, California State University Channel Islands provides undergraduate and graduate education that facilitates learning within and across disciplines through integrative approaches, emphasizes experiential and service learning, and graduates students with multicultural and international perspectives.
Institutional Mission-Based Learning Outcomes
CI graduates will possess an education of sufficient breadth and depth to appreciate and interpret the natural, social and aesthetic worlds and to address the highly complex issues facing societies. Graduates will be able to:
- Identify and describe the modern world and issues facing societies from multiple perspectives including those within and across disciplines, cultures and nations (when appropriate).
- Analyze issues, and develop and convey to others solutions to problems using the methodologies, tools and techniques of an academic discipline.
Characteristics of CSU Channel Islands Graduates
CI Graduates are:
- informed about past, present, and future issues affecting human society and natural world, and the inter-relatedness of society and the natural world;
- empowered with the disciplinary and interdisciplinary knowledge necessary to evaluate problems, the ability to translate knowledge into judgment and action, and excellent communication skills for conveying their interpretations and opinions to a diverse audience;
- creative in developing imaginative self-expression and independent thinking, with joy and passion for learning; and
- dedicated to maintaining the principles of intellectual honesty, democracy, and social justice, and to participating in human society and the natural world as socially responsible individual citizens.