When planning to travel outside of the United States, international students must ensure that they obtain a travel signature on their I-20 or DS-2019. All of the staff members in the International Programs office are Designated School Officials, and Responsible Officers, meaning that they can all sign immigration documents. 

The travel signature is valid for 12 months as long as you are maintaining your immigration status, and your passport and visa are valid.

Preparing for travel

If you are planning to travel to a country that is not your own, it is your responsibility to confirm the entry visa requirements for that country well in advance by contacting the embassy or consulate of the particular country you plan to visit.

When traveling outside the United States, students should have the following documents

  • Valid passport (it must be valid for at least 6 months into the future)
  • Valid F-1 or J-1 visa
  • Valid form I-20, or DS-2019 with travel signature (signature endorsed within 1 year)

If your visa has expired, you will be required to renew your visa before you can return to the United States. If you are planning a trip and know your visa is or will expire soon, then please ensure you have enough time to apply for the visa renewal within your trip. 

Back to Top ↑