Table of contents

Link to Maintaining Legal F-1 or J-1 Status: maintaining legal f1 status, for all of the immigration requirements for F-1, and J-1 students.

Where do I purchase the health insurance?

You can purchase the insurance online through It is your responsibility to ensure that there are no gaps in your coverage, so pay close attention to the expiration dates of your policy.

Can I take online courses?

Yes. International students are allowed to enroll in online courses but they can only take one online course per semester. International students must be enrolled in on campus courses for the majority of their units each semester/quarter.

Are transportation services available during my stay?

You contact Parking Services for more information on how to obtain a bus pass. These shuttles arrive on the CI campus every 15 minutes and can take you to and from the Camarillo Metrolink Station or to and from Oxnard.

Do I have to take a full-time course load in my final semester?

No, you do not need to take extra courses in your final semester, simply enroll in the number of units you need to complete your degree, and notify our office that you are in your final semester.

Can I leave the country at any time during my program?

Yes, you will need to obtain a signature on your I-20 before you leave, so contact our office when you finalize your plans to take a vacation out of the country. You can travel for up to a year once you receive a signature.

Can I work?

Yes, you can work on campus as a student assistant. You CANNOT work off campus while you are completing your degree. Do not accept any unauthorized employment during your studies, as that will result in a termination of your SEVIS record.

What do I do if my I-20 is going to expire before I finish my degree?

Contact our office as soon as you realize that you will need more time to complete your degree. We will extend your program, but you will need to submit a new financial affidavit form, and bank statement in order for us to issue the document.

I am very ill. Where can I go to get medical attention?

If you have a life-threatening or limb-threatening condition, call 911 or go to the ER.

Emergency rooms are open 24 hours a day for potentially life-threatening emergencies. You may have an ER co-payment, co-insurance or deductible. You may also have an additional out-of-network charge. However, it costs a lot of money for hospitals to support all the equipment and staff that an ER requires. So, visits to the ER generally cost much more than those to a doctor’s office. Emergency Rooms treat the patients with the most serious conditions first, so patients with less urgent needs will often wait longer to see a doctor.

If you are not suffering from a life-threatening condition, a more economic option would be to consider visiting an Urgent Care Center. These centers have extended hours and are not equipped to deal with major medical traumas or conditions. They are intended to provide treatment for less serious conditions. Your co-pay or co-insurance for an urgent care visit will often be lower than the co-pay or co-insurance for an ER visit. Urgent Care centers only see patients with routine conditions, and it’s usually on a first-come, first-served basis. This means your wait time at an Urgent Care center will be less than the wait time at an ER. View glossary on the following page: Here is a list of Urgent Care locations (PDF, 208KB)

I just moved to another apartment. Do I have to tell anyone at the university?

If you change your address, you have 10 days to report your new address to the International Programs office at, so that the Designated School Official can enter your new address in SEVIS. We strongly encourage you to update your address through MyCI. However, updating your address through MyCI itself does not meet the requirement by SEVIS. You must remember to notify the International Programs office within 10 days.

Can I work on campus?

If you are degree seeking F-1 visa students, you can work on campus. If you are visiting students for one or two semesters with F-1 or J-1 visa, you are not eligible for campus employment.

I don’t have a job on campus. Do I need to file for taxes?

As a nonresident F-1 or J-1 student, you may need to file forms each year with the IRS, even if you earned no income and do not have a job on campus. It is your individual responsibility to understand and meet your tax obligations.

What is CPT?

CPT is curricular practical training, which is a program that allows international students to participate in an internship or employment while receiving course credit. Please contact our office for more information.

What is OPT?

OPT is optional practical training, and it is a program that allows F-1 students to obtain an employment authorization document to work for a full 12 months after they graduate from a degree program. Contact the International Programs office when you begin your final semester for more information.

When is the deadline for filing taxes?

Generally, tax returns are due every April 15th based on earnings from the previous year, though there are exceptions to this deadline. The deadline is usually April 15.

Who must file tax forms?

All international students and scholars are expected to complete and file tax forms with the U.S. federal government, whether or not they had earned income during the tax year. In addition, F-2 and J-2 dependents must also file certain tax forms. First determine whether you are resident or non-resident for tax purposes, use the Substantial Presence Test found on the IRS web site. Next, determine whether you received a U.S. source income in the previous year.

What forms do I need to file taxes?

If you determine that you are a resident for tax purposes you will need to compete Form 1040, 1040EZ, or 1040A. If you had U.S. source income in the previous year, you will need to complete Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, and Form 8843. If you received any income, you will receive a W-2 form from your employer. Use this to fill out your forms. If you had no U.S. source income in the previous year, you will need to complete Form 8843. Information on whether you need to file California state taxes is available at All IRS forms and instructions can be found and downloaded at the IRS website.

You can either prepare your own tax return or hire a qualified professional tax preparer. You could also purchase a commercial tax software program from an office supply retailer, at certain department stores, and over the internet.

Where do I mail my tax forms?

Mailing Address for Federal Tax Forms 1040NR, 1040NR-EZ and Form 8843

All non-resident federal tax forms must be mailed to: Department of Treasury Internal Revenue Service Center Austin, TX 73301-0215

If enclosing a payment mail the form to: Internal Revenue Service Center P.O. Box 1303 Charlotte, NC 28201-1303

Mailing Address for California State Tax Form 540

If your tax return shows a refund or no amount due, mail your forms to: Franchise Tax Board PO Box 942840 Sacramento CA 94240-0001

If you are enclosing a check or money order, mail your forms to: Franchise Tax Board PO Box 942867 Sacramento CA 94267-0001

Can I receive a transcript?

You need to order transcript online. You can find the transcript order information at the Official Transcript Ordering Information website. Please note that you will need to send an email to after you place your order so that they know that your transcripts will be sent outside of the country.

There are two options for ordering transcripts, one through MyCI, and the other is for individuals who do not remember their MyCI log in information. You shouldn’t have any problems with the links, other than if you cannot remember your MyCI password. If that is the case, then please reset your password. In this page, you will need to enter XXXX where it asks for the last four digits of your social security number.

What does The International Programs office do?

The International Programs (IP) office helps international students who would like to apply to CI. Once a student is enrolled at CI, the IP office helps students adjust to life at the University and in the United States. The IP office offers orientation programs, workshops on important topics, and one-on-one counseling on immigration, academics, employment, and financial matters. Throughout the year, the IP office sponsors social, cultural and recreational activities that will enable you to make new friends and get the most out of your stay at CI and in California. The IP office collaborates with many CI multilingual staff and faculty members who are sensitive to the needs and concerns of international students and eager to help make your stay enjoyable, comfortable and safe. Please contact the International Programs office at 805-437- 3107 or by email at for further information regarding language programs near CI. The IP office is located in Sage Hall, Room 2061.

What do I do in case of an emergency?

In case of an emergency, you can call 911 or contact the Public Safety Office on campus:

Non-Emergency: 805-437-8444
Parking Services: 805-437-8430 Location: Placer Hall

Please visit the following websites for more helpful information:

Back to Top ↑