The University strives to be proactive in its attempts to resolve disputes regarding workplace issues. Employees are encouraged to discuss issues with their supervisors. Supervisors and administrators are encouraged to seek assistance from Human Resources Programs to mutually determine options or to provide recommendations on resolving problems. Human Resources Programs will assist administrators with interpretation of collective bargaining agreements and will provide guidance and representation on any grievances. HR Programs is also responsible for processing and monitoring grievance activity on the campus as well coordinating release time requests for campus union representatives and addressing information requests from the unions.
From time to time, training is provided for personnel regarding problem resolution, dealing with difficult people and other related topics. Represented employees may also refer to their respective collective bargaining agreements for specific guidelines on complaint or grievance matters.
Below is a list of the policies, procedures, and guidelines for complaints of employee, visitor, or contractor conduct believed to be in violation of our policies prohibiting discrimination, harassment or improper governmental activities and retaliation for opposing these activities. Human Resources Programs, located in room 1123 of Solano Hall, is responsible for the implementation of employee relations programs, policies and procedures. The individual responsible for program oversight and implimentation is Anna Pavin, Associate Vice President of Human Resources Programs, located in Room 1152 of Solano Hall. Please direct all claims against employees, visitors, vendors, or contractors to Human Resources Programs the locations specified above, or by calling them at (805) 437-8490.
Nondiscrimination and Affirmative Action Programs in Employment:
- Executive Order 883: Systemwide Guidelines for Nondiscrimination and Affirmative Action Programs in Employment. http://www.calstate.edu/EO/EO-883.pdf
Prohibiting Harassment in Employment and Retaliation for Reporting Harassment or Participating in a Harassment Investigation:
- Executive Order 926: Systemwide Policy on Disability Support and Accommodations. http://www.calstate.edu/EO/EO-926.pdf
- Executive Order 927: Systemwide Policy Prohibiting Harassment in Employment and Retaliation for Reporting Harassment or Participation in a Harassment Investigation http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-927.pdf
- Executive Order 928: Systemwide Complaint Procedure for Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation Complaints for Employees Not Eligible to File a Complaint or Grievance Under a Collective Bargaining Agreement or Whose Collective Bargaining Agreement Incorporates CSU Systemwide Complaint Procedure http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-928.pdf
Prohibiting Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation Against Students:
- Student discrimination, harassment, or retaliation complaints against CSU employees must be filed pursuant to Executive Order 1074: Systemwide Policy Prohibiting Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation Against Students and Systemwide Procedure for Handling Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation Complaints by Students. http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1074.html
- Student discrimination and harassment complaints against visitors, vendors, and contractors must be filed pursuant to the CSU Channel Islands’ Procedures for Processing Student Complaints of Discrimination or Harassment by Visitors, Vendors, or Independent Contractors.
Whistleblower Policy, Complaint Procedure, and Guidelines:
- Executive Order 1058: Complaint Procedure for Allegations of Retaliation for Having
Made a Protected Disclosure under the California Whistleblower Protection Act
- Executive Order 929: Reporting Procedures for Protected Disclosure of Improper Governmental Activities and/or Significant Threats to Health or Safety http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-929.pdf
- Revised complaint procedure/timeline for allegations of retaliation for disclosure
under the California Whistleblower Protection Act
- Executive Order 930: CSU Drug-Free Workplace Policy http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-930.pdf
- CSU Collective Bargaining Agreements
- CSU Additional Employment Policy (PDF, 145KB)
- CSU Employment and Incompatible Activities (PDF, 260KB)
- CSU Revised Policy on Nepotism (PDF, 132KB)
- CI Policy - Drug-Free Work Environment (PDF, 14KB)
- CI Policy - Violence in the Workplace (PDF, 29KB)
- Other current campus policies and statements can be found in the CI Administrative Policy Manual website or by clicking here.
Any questions regarding employee relations should be directed to:
Associate Vice President
Human Resources Programs
Phone: (805) 437-8490
Fax: (805) 437-8491