Below is a list of frequently asked questions. If you have questions about admissions or would like to apply, please go to either the Undergraduate admissions or Graduate admissions page to view requirements and download any documents needed to apply.

Who is an international student?

An international student is a student who plans to study at CI on a non-immigrant visa. Most international students admitted to CI obtain F-1 visas. H4 students must apply online at If an H4 student wants to apply for a change of status from H4 to F1, he or she can contact the International Programs office at

What programs are offered to international students at CI?

CI offers international students graduate, undergraduate, Semester at CI, and incoming exchange opportunities. Please visit the Admissions page for more information regarding each of the programs listed.

What English Placement Exam options do I have, and what score must I receive?

An official TOEFL score report with a minimum score of 500 on the Paper-Based test, 173 on the Compute-Based test, and 61 on the Internet-Based test or an official IELTS score report with a minimum of 6.0. Certain programs may require a higher TOEFL/IELTS score.

An official TOEFL score report with a minimum score of 550 on the Paper-Based test, 213 on the Compute-Based test, and 80 on the Internet-Based test or an official IELTS score report with a minimum of 6.5. Certain programs may require a higher TOEFL/IELTS score.

How can I waive the English Placement Exam requirement?

Undergraduate students can waive the TOEFL and IELTS requirement if they successfully complete Level 112 at ELS Language Center. ELS is located in nearby Thousand Oaks. Please contact Ellie Yoo at if you are interested in attending their language courses. Or you can visit to find a different location.

Undergraduate and Graduate students can also waive the requirement if they have completed two or more years of college coursework in a US institution.

What are the application deadlines?

Please submit all application materials by the following deadlines:

Undergraduate Freshmen applicants

  • To study in the Fall: November 30
  • Freshmen are not accepted for the Spring semester

Undergraduate Transfer applicants

  • To study in the Fall: May 1
  • To study in the Spring: November 1

Graduate applicants to MS Computer Science and MS Mathematics

  • To study in the Fall: July 1st
  • To study in the Spring: October 31st

Graduate applicants to MS Biotechnology, MBA, and MS Biotechnology & MBA Dual Degree

  • To study in the Fall: July 1st
  • To study in the Spring: December 1st

 Why do I need to fill out a financial affidavit form?

For students who plan to enter the U.S. on an F-1 student visa, certificates of eligibility (Form I-20) for obtaining the visa cannot be issued until student have proven their ability to provide full financial support for their entire stay at CI. A financial statement must show that the student has the cost of living and studying at CI for two semesters in deposit at a financial institution in the U.S. or foreign country. The date on the financial affidavit and bank statement must be no more than six months prior to the date received by the International Programs office. The cost of living and studying at CI for two semesters is listed on the financial affidavit form which is included on the Admissions page of each program.

When will I find out if I am admitted?

After you have submitted your application, the CI Admissions office will review your application and supplemental documents. Our International Programs office will contact you if any application items or documents are missing. Upon confirming that your application is complete, the CI Admissions office and/or the graduate program to which you are applying will determine your admissibility. You should receive an admissions decision via e-mail within 3-4 weeks after your completed application has been received. The International Programs office will mail you a formal admission letter and admission packet.

Do you require any immunizations?

Yes, immunizations are required. Please visit Student Health Services for more information and make sure to bring proof of immunization with you.

Can I take online courses?

Yes. International students are allowed to enroll in online courses but they can only take one online course per semester/quarter. International students must be enrolled in on campus courses for the majority of their units each semester/quarter.

Are transportation services available during my stay?

Yes. Because some of our MBA and MS Biotechnology classes are offered at our Thousand Oaks Campus, we provide free shuttle services for you to attend classes through Roadrunner Shuttle to take you to and from the CI campus.  The orientation takes place at the main campus in Camarillo.

You may also purchase a Vista Bus shuttle card through Parking Services. These shuttles arrive on the CI campus every 15 minutes and can take you to and from the Camarillo Metrolink Station or to and from Oxnard.

I am very ill. Where can I go to get medical attention?

If you have a life-threatening or limb-threatening condition, call 911 or go to the ER.

Emergency rooms are open 24 hours a day for potentially life-threatening emergencies. You may have an ER co-payment, co-insurance or deductible. You may also have an additional out-of-network charge. However, it costs a lot of money for hospitals to support all the equipment and staff that an ER requires. So, visits to the ER generally cost much more than those to a doctor’s office. Emergency Rooms treat the patients with the most serious conditions first, so patients with less urgent needs will often wait longer to see a doctor. 

If you are not suffering from a life-threatening condition, a more economic option would be to consider visiting an Urgent Care Center. These centers have extended hours and are not equipped to deal with major medical traumas or conditions. They are intended to provide treatment for less serious conditions. Your co-pay or co-insurance for an urgent care visit will often be lower than the co-pay or co-insurance for an ER visit. Urgent Care centers only see patients with routine conditions, and it’s usually on a first-come, first-served basis. This means your wait time at an Urgent Care center will be less than the wait time at an ER.

View glossary on the following page:

Here is a list of Urgent Care locations (PDF, 208KB)

I just moved to another apartment. Do I have to tell anyone at the university?

 If you change your address, you have 10 days to report your new address to the International Programs office at, so that the Designated School Official can enter your new address in SEVIS.  We strongly encourage you to update your address through MyCI.  However, updating your address through MyCI itself does not meet the requirement by SEVIS.  You must remember to notify the International Programs office within 10 days. 

Can I work on campus?

If you are degree seeking F-1 visa students, you can work on campus.  If you are visiting students for one or two semesters with F-1 or J-1 visa, you are not eligible for campus employment. 

How can I get a student ID?

During the international student orientation, you can take a picture and receive your student ID.  It costs $15.00 to issue an ID and your account will be charged for the fee.  Please make sure to pay for the fee before you complete the program and return home. 

I don’t have a job on campus. Do I need to file for taxes?

As a nonresident F-1 or J-1 student, you may need to file forms each year with the IRS, even if you earned no income and do not have a job on campus. It is your individual responsibility to understand and meet your tax obligations.

When is the deadline for filing taxes?

Generally, tax returns are due every April 15th based on earnings from the previous year, though there are exceptions to this deadline. The deadline is usually April 15.

Who must file tax forms?

All international students and scholars are expected to complete and file tax forms with the U.S. federal government, whether or not they had earned income during the tax year. In addition, F-2 and J-2 dependents must also file certain tax forms. First determine whether you are resident or non-resident for tax purposes, use the Substantial Presence Test found on the IRS web site. Next, determine whether you received a U.S. source income in the previous year:

What forms do I need to file taxes?

If you determine that you are a resident for tax purposes you will need to compete Form 1040, 1040EZ, or 1040A. If you had U.S. source income in the previous year, you will need to complete Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, and Form 8843. If you received any income, you will receive a W-2 form from your employer. Use this to fill out your forms. If you had no U.S. source income in the previous year, you will need to complete Form 8843. Information on whether you need to file California state taxes is available at  All IRS forms and instructions can be found and downloaded at the IRS website.

You can either prepare your own tax return or hire a qualified professional tax preparer. You could also purchase a commercial tax software program from an office supply retailer, at certain department stores, and over the internet.

Where do I mail my tax forms?

Mailing Address for Federal Tax Forms 1040NR, 1040NR-EZ and Form 8843

All non-resident federal tax forms must be mailed to:

Department of Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301-0215

If enclosing a payment mail the form to:

Internal Revenue Service Center
P.O. Box 1303
Charlotte, NC 28201-1303

 Mailing Address for California State Tax Form 540

If your tax return shows a refund or no amount due, mail your forms to:

Franchise Tax Board
PO Box 942840
Sacramento CA 94240-0001

If you are enclosing a check or money order, mail your forms to:

Franchise Tax Board
PO Box 942867
Sacramento CA 94267-0001

Can I receive a transcript?

You need to order transcript online.  You can find the transcript order information here:

Please note that you will need to send an email to after you place your order so that they know that your transcripts will be sent outside of the country.

There are two options for ordering transcripts, one through MyCI, and the other is for individuals who do not remember their MyCI log in information. You shouldn’t have any problems with the links, other than if you cannot remember your MyCI password. If that is the case, then please go here: to reset your password. In this page, you will need to enter XXXX where it asks for the last four digits of your social security number.


What does The International Programs office do?

The International Programs (IP) office helps international students who would like to apply to CI. Once a student is enrolled at CI, the IP office helps students adjust to life at the University and in the United States. The IP office offers orientation programs, workshops on important topics, and one-on-one counseling on immigration, academics, employment, and financial matters. Throughout the year, the IP office sponsors social, cultural and recreational activities that will enable you to make new friends and get the most out of your stay at CI and in California. The IP office collaborates with many CI multilingual staff and faculty members who are sensitive to the needs and concerns of international students and eager to help make your stay enjoyable, comfortable and safe. Please contact the International Programs office at 805-437- 3107 or by email at for further information regarding language programs near CI. The IP office is located in Sage Hall, Room 2061.

What do I do in case of an emergency?

In case of an emergency, you can call 911 or contact the Public Safety Office on campus:

Non-Emergency: 805-437-8444
Parking Services: 805-437-8430
Location: Placer Hall


Please visit the following websites for more helpful information: 

Who do I contact for more information about international admissions?
For further information, questions or concerns, please contact the International Programs office at 805-437-3107 or by email at The office is open Monday-Friday, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM Pacific Standard Time.