ASSIST is short for Articulation System Stimulating Interinstitutional Student Transfer and it's the official source of articulation for California’s public colleges and universities. It provides the most accurate and up-to-date information available about student transfer in California through its website, which displays how coursework completed at one California public college or university can be applied when transferred to another. Thus, students transferring to CI from California Community Colleges (CCCs) or California public universities may find CI courses that are equivalent to courses completed at those institutions. These course equivalencies are also known as "articulation agreements."

Articulation agreements are organized by major or by department*. By major agreements contain only courses required by specific majors. By department agreements contain only courses offered by specific departments (e.g. Accounting, American Sign Language, Anthropology, etc.). ASSIST also provides lists of the following types of CCC courses:

  1. CSU Transferable
  2. CSU General Education (GE) - Breadth Certification
  3. CSU US History, Constitution, and American Ideals (American Institutions Requirement)
  4. IGETC for UC and CSU

*Note: Articulation agreements may not exist for every institution or course. If one does not exist, after transferring to CI you may need to submit a GE/Graduation Substitution Request Form (PDF, 184kb) (located in the Registrar’s Office Forms Library) to request that the course meet a GE or graduation requirement, or meet with the major advisor for your declared major or minor to request that the course meet a major or minor requirement. Your major advisor will be able to review your request and submit it to Registrar’s Office on your behalf. The above requests may or may not be granted.

Status Update (as of 06/16/20):  The new ASSIST is live and still undergoing major upgrades affecting all public institutions of higher education in California. The ASSIST Resource Center is the source for updates and information about the new website. Due to these upgrades, not every agreement is available. Please use the interim tools provided below:

  • Course-to-Course Agreements:
    • Review By Department Agreements on ASSIST
  • Major Agreements:


Back to Top ↑